May 26, 2020

Ann-Marie Smith’s Carer Was Previously Banned And Not Screened By Employer

 

More disturbing details in the horrific death of Ann-Marie Smith came to light yesterday as a South Australian parliamentary committee heard that Ms Smith’s carer, Rosemary Maione, was previously banned by one state government agency over allegations of stealing from homecare clients.

Ann-Marie Smith, 54, died in the Royal Adelaide Hospital on April 6 with authorities later revealing that her death was a result of severe septic shock, multiple organ failure, severe pressure wounds, malnutrition, and issues connected to her cerebral palsy.

Police believe that Ms. Smith had been severely neglected and may not have been moved from the chair sat in for over a year.

Ms Smith’s carer, Rosemary Maione, is now part of a manslaughter investigation and her employer, Integrity Care, is now being investigated by the disability industry watchdog.

Yesterday a member of the SA Parliament’s Budget and Finance Committee revealed that carer Rosemary Maione was actually banned from providing services for Domiciliary Care services clients after allegations that clients’ money had gone missing when she was worked in their homes.

Integrity Care was informed of these allegations and the fact that Ms Maione was banned from working for Domiciliary Care clients, but it appears that this information was not shared with the screening unit or to other parts of the department that contracted Integrity Care, including Disability SA.

The missing money was not reported to the police at the request of the families involved.

Department chief executive Lois Boswell also told the committee that it appears as though Integrity Care employed Ms Maione without a disability worker screening and that they first applied for a screening of Ms Maione after Ann Marie Smith’s death.

Ms Boswell revealed that they had found not yet found any records which indicate that Ann Marie Smith was visited by Disability SA while Ms Maione worked with her.

However, it is believed that Ms Smith was contacted annually by Disability SA to review her needs and services.

Photo Credit- SA Police

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Staff ratios number one in Labor’s new aged care plan

  Labor has turned up the pressure on the government’s handling of aged care, issuing an eight point plan for the embattled sector and putting aged care reform at the top of the political agenda. In an address to the Press Club on Thursday, opposition leader Anthony Albanese MP said the government had failed to... Read More

Bupa Eden holds onto accreditation despite repeated sanctions

  Bupa Eden has escaped having its accreditation revoked, with the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission announcing at the last minute it will re-accredit the troubled facility. But Bupa Eden remains under sanction, and is being closely monitored by the Commission. Audit failings over 12 months Pupa Eden has failed a number of consecutive... Read More

New Single Set of Aged Care Quality Standards: What Does This Mean?

Last week, the Federal Health Department released a draft of new Aged Care Quality Standards. The Australian Aged Care Quality Agency are developing “guidance and educational material” to support the Standards and has commenced piloting of the draft Standards and guidance material. A single set of quality standards is a key deliverable of the Single... Read More
Advertisement