Dec 18, 2020

NSW COVID outbreak closes aged care homes just before Christmas

As Christmas draws nearer and people are solidifying holiday plans, the Sydney Northern Beaches coronavirus cluster is growing, and threatening to change everything. 

Of the confirmed cases, one is an aged care worker from retirement village Pittwater Palms. As ten more cases have come back positive overnight, bringing the total up to 28, Premier Gladys Berejiklian has closed a number of aged care homes in the area. 

“NSW Health will be issuing a directive to certain aged care facilities on the Northern Beaches to recommend no visitors until we identify the source of the inflection and feel more confident we have it under control,” Ms Berejiklian said.

According to NSW Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant, the strain of the virus is linked to the US, and has been steadily spreading over the last 48 hours. NSW health authorities have urged anyone who lives in the Northern Beaches to monitor any symptoms closely and present for testing as soon as possible. 

“I encourage everybody with the mildest symptoms on the Northern Beaches to get testing,” said Ms Berejiklian.

“We have seen an increase in testing overnight.

“We want to get on top of this and don’t want this concerning us in the last few days before Christmas and urging everyone to be as vigilant as ever.”

In a press conference this morning, the premier said that she would wait another 24 to 48 hours before changing any restrictions in the lead up to Christmas. 

“But I also do want to stress we don’t want to be in a position just before Christmas to have to restrict the easing of restrictions we have put in place a couple of weeks ago,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“I know from the testing regime overnight but also from the behaviour of people today, especially in Avalon and the Northern Beaches, the people are taking our advice and they are listening to the health messages.

“But if we don’t feel that is enough and we feel the number of cases is going up to an extent we are not comfortable with, we will take greater measures in and around the Northern Beaches community and perhaps even through Greater Sydney if we feel that risk is there,” the premier said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Immediate coordinated action needed to save lives of people living with dementia

Dementia Australia today called for immediate action to prevent neglect or worse - premature death – and ensure appropriate support and care of people living with dementia in residential aged care homes during the COVID-19 pandemic. Dementia Australia CEO Maree McCabe said while a discussion about the current systemic breakdowns is both valid and necessary, our focus must be on the crisis at hand in Victoria. Read More

Workers and residents must be protected if SA bans two jobs

With the South Australian Government considering banning workers from working across multiple aged centres, it must move to protect aged care residents and aged care workers, United Workers Union Aged Care Director Carolyn Smith said today. Read More

Providers found guilty of COVID breaches could be charged under new workplace manslaughter laws

WorkSafe Victoria is investigating more than 50 aged care homes over suspected breaches of Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) laws last year during deadly COVID-19 outbreaks. Organisations can face million-dollar fines or executives can face jail sentences under new workplace manslaughter laws. Read More
Advertisement