Jul 29, 2020

Aged care workers and residents suffer as government fails to deliver adequate PPE training

There have been multiple reports of staff lacking the appropriate training in how to use PPE in aged care which has contributed to issues at Victorian nursing homes.

Answers provided through the Select Committee on COVID-19 reveal that just one in five aged care workers had taken the government’s training in Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) before COVID-19 outbreaks exploded in Victorian nursing homes.

Only 66,000 people had completed aged care training in PPE by early June – Australia’s aged care workforce is estimated to be more than 360,000.

The Prime Minister defended the Commonwealth’s work to prepare nursing homes for COVID-19.

“We’ve been taking action on this for weeks now, for weeks and weeks. And I outline those actions to you, in particular, taking the initiative to train the workforces in aged care,” said Scott Morrison at a press conference on Monday.

But only $44,000 was spent on developing the training, showing how little the government worked to prepare our nation’s nursing homes for outbreaks of COVID-19.

Julie Collins MP, Shadow Minister for Ageing and Seniors issued a statement criticising the government’s response.

“We knew from international experience how vulnerable our older people in nursing homes were to COVID-19. So why didn’t the Morrison Government do more to prepare workers?,” she said.

“Scott Morrison has said outbreaks will continue to occur, so it is vitally important every aged care worker across the country has undertaken appropriate training.

“The Morrison Government must now urgently ensure all aged care workers have undertaken appropriate training in PPE and infection control.

“We have seen the devastating impact of COVID-19 outbreaks in aged care in Australia and across the globe.

“Australia’s aged care system was broken before the COVID-19 pandemic and this is only putting extra stress on the system.”

 

We’d love to hear what PPE training you have received – please share in the comments below.

 

Image: choreograph, iStock.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

A major ivermectin study has been withdrawn – so what now for the controversial drug?

A large clinical trial that seemed to show positive results for ivermectin has been withdrawn. So you’d think that would be end of the ivermectin saga. But research into ivermectin is ongoing. Here’s what the evidence says so far and what we can expect next. Read More

Have older Aussies given up on COVID-safe measures this holiday season?

New research has found most older people do not believe practising COVID-safe behaviours or staying up to date with vaccinations to protect against the virus is important as we head into a highly social time of the year. Read More

Resident Tests Positive In Facility Where Sick Nurse Continued Working

An aged care home in Western Sydney has one resident that tested positive to COVID-19 and another sick resident awaiting test results after a careless employee – who also tested positive – worked six shifts while showing visible symptoms of the virus. The female nurse worked shifts at both the Anglicare Newmarch House in Caddens... Read More
Advertisement