Jun 16, 2023

Elderly woman attacked metres from her home, left with severed fingers

Screenshot 2023-06-16 123417
Jan, 73, was stabbed in a random attack just metres from her home. [Source: A Current Affair]

An older woman who was stabbed in an allegedly unprovoked attack on a South Geelong street last week was only about 150m from her home when the man struck her.

On the night of June 6, 73-year-old Jan, was walking home alone after visiting her 93-year-old mother, on Mundy Street when she was allegedly stabbed by 32-year-old Jordan Powell from behind in an unprovoked attack.

Unaware she had been stabbed, Jan said she noticed her injuries after seeing blood at her feet and was fearful he had caused damage to her vital organs. Some of her fingers were seriously damaged in the incident and one was at risk of being amputated.  

“I had a purse on me. He didn’t take that, didn’t take the bag… There’s nothing to be gained from doing that.”

It was only after Mr Powell fled the scene that she realised she had been injured. Jan alleges that she knocked on a stranger’s door for help and was then taken to Geelong Hospital for emergency surgery where surgeons saved one of her fingers. 

Mr Powell, of no fixed address, was found by Geelong Crime Investigation Unit detectives at the Colonial Lodge Motel on Fyans Street, one kilometre from the scene, and was charged with intentionally causing serious injury. 

Untitled design (11)
Police searching for the weapon Mr Powell used to stab Jan the day after the incident. [Source: 9News]

He fronted Geelong Magistrates Court the following day, June 7, and appeared to be agitated but did not make an application for bail.

Magistrate Ann McGarvie said the incident was very serious and told Mr Powell there was a very low chance his bail application would be successful if he made one.

“It is only pure luck perhaps regarding the direction of the knife into her body that she hasn’t died,” Ms McGarvie said in court. *pullout*

“Police are of the view that you (Powell) are the attacker and are conducting ongoing investigations to confirm that, so they can prove that it was you.”

Mr Powell will remain in custody until the matter is approached in court in the upcoming months. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Police Officer Fights Allegations That He Assualted Elderly Man With Dementia

With significant bruising and a fractured elbow, 92-year-old Ronald Hodge was taken to hospital after a confrontation with police. Despite this, Senior the arresting officer is pleading not guilty to assault charges. Read More

BREAKING: Prince Philip has died at Windsor Castle aged 99

Buckingham Palace has confirmed in an official statement that the Duke of Edinburgh has sadly passed away, just months before his 100th birthday. Read More

New in-person help now available to make “overwhelming” aged care system easier to navigate

Commencing this week, trained aged care personnel will be ready in-person, across 15 locations throughout Australia, to assist older Australians journey through the aged care system.  Read More
Advertisement