Apr 01, 2022

Missing aged care worker believed to be found dead in Lismore floodwaters

Missing ACW found in floodwaters
After being reported as missing earlier this week, the body of 55-year-old aged care nurse Alina Brakel is believed to have been found in Lismore floodwaters. (Images: 9News)

Alina Brakel, 55, was reported as trapped in the dangerous floodwaters after emergency services received a call around 10pm on Tuesday night, stating the aged care worker was trapped in the floods at Monaltrie, roughly 5km from Lismore. 

Sadly, local authorities confirmed that they had found the body of a woman in North Lismore around 7pm on Thursday evening, after receiving a tip from a member of the public, according to a 9News report

The police shared in a statement, “The body is yet to be formally identified but is believed to be that of the missing woman.”

Ms Brakel was reported to be driving a white 2017 Holden Captiva at the time she became trapped in floodwaters on Tuesday night. Local police officers have since found a vehicle submerged in floodwaters at North Lismore, which is believed to be the missing woman’s car, according to ABC News.

The aged care worker, who originally lived in Nowra, had been recruited to work in Lismore, said NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Joe Cassar earlier this week. 

In recovery mode after being lashed with flooding mid-March, residents from Lismore to the Lower Macleay region in northern NSW are currently under evacuation orders, The Guardian has reported. 

In the past 24 hours alone, the State Emergency Services (SES) has received more than 650 calls for help, and performed over 20 rescues, with already saturated areas in danger of flash flooding, the SES warned. 

Meanwhile, in an effort to help those affected, the Rapid Relief Team charity has been aiding farmers by donating tonnes of hay to assist them with feeding stock, after suffering two shocking floods in a matter of weeks. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

New warning after Adelaide couple fall victim to text message scam and lose $7K

When an elderly couple from Adelaide received a text message said to be from their doctor, they clicked on the link immediately thinking it was medical results. That act led them down a frustrating path, ending in the loss of $7,000. Read More

Regional NSW town spends $600K to attract international nurses

A small council in Southern New South Wales is dipping into its pockets to spend over $600,000 so it can recruit international workers for its aged care home due to a lack of local staff. Read More

GP denies coercing dying patient into changing will to secure share of $30 million estate

A Sydney doctor left tens of millions of dollars by a patient has denied he coerced a man into changing his will, the New South Wales supreme court has heard. Read More
Advertisement