Jun 27, 2023

Noosa community walk John’s path to remember him

Untitled design (16)
The walk honoured John Kerr while also restoring courage to the community to carry on walking in the area. [Source: ABC News]

Members of the Noosa community gathered and walked for the late John Kerr over the weekend to honour his memory. 

About 500 residents gathered on Sunday morning to remember the local 87-year-old man who died after being violently attacked on a morning walk last week.

Mr Kerr was found on a boardwalk path on Hastings Street in Noosa Heads after what is being described as a random attack. Despite attempts to help from people passing by, paramedics confirmed he died at the scene.

Locals attending the memorial gathered at the beach before the walk to observe a minute’s silence and lay flowers. 

The event was organised by fellow long-time local, David Knechtli, who also frequently walked the path Mr Kerr did before his death. He read a statement from Mr Kerr’s family to a teary crowd. 

“We are broken-hearted to lose our beloved John,” he said.

3bdc2532d837bb69c2313e121c358cf26f2a1263-16x9-x0y0w1304h734
John Kerr. [Source: Queensland Police]

Sparked from a social media post, Mr Knechtli decided to organise the walk to not only remember Mr Kerr but also restore some form of safety to local residents who had raised fears about walking in the area after the attack. 

“I’m not going to be afraid in my own community,” Mr Knechtli told ABC News.

Mr Knechtli advised residents to stay safe and vigilant when walking early in the morning but to avoid stopping normal daily life activities. 

A person of interest was taken into custody on the day of the attack who is allegedly helping police with the investigation. No charges have been laid.

Police also released security camera footage of a person and some cars that were in the area at the time of the incident and wish to speak to them. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Aged care worker registration scheme set to be introduced in 2023

The Labor Government promise of a national registration system for aged care workers will be introduced to Parliament in 2023 alongside the new Aged Care Act. Read More

Mass exodus: Carers still threatening to leave sector as 15% pay rise isn’t enough

A new survey has revealed the aged care sector is “on the brink of collapse”, with three-quarters of the workforce warning they still intend to leave within six months if they do not receive a more significant pay increase. Read More

Elderly man dies 50km away from new home waiting for Queensland border to reopen

The NSW man was stranded at a caravan park for 14 weeks, whilst waiting for the Queensland border to reopen, and so he could be reunited with his son.  Read More
Advertisement