Aug 17, 2020

Victoria records its deadliest day of pandemic

Victoria has recorded its deadliest day of the pandemic yet, with the Department of Health and Human Services reporting 25 deaths in the last 24 hours.

Of the 25, 22 deaths were associated with outbreaks in aged care facilities.

There were also 282 new cases recorded, indicating infection growth rates are beginning to ease in the wake of the tough restrictions being imposed on Victorians.

Geriatrician at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Kate Gregorevic, told HelloCare that while the numbers are “extremely sad”, there is also some cause for hope.

“It’s devastating for all the families involved, but we shouldn’t lose hope because the thing about this disease is it doesn’t kill people in the first day or two of the infection, it kills people around 10-14 days after they first get it.

“So what we’re seeing now are the deaths from that peak that happened a couple of weeks ago.

“I expect as the (case) numbers go down, we are going to see the number of deaths going down, but there will be a bit of a lag.”

Dr Gregorevic said the deaths recorded today are largely a reflection of the recent outbreaks in aged care facilities.

“We are now seeing the poor people who caught it in residential care who are frail and older and more vulnerable, we’re seeing the results of that,” she said.

“Hopefully we get control of outbreaks in residential aged care, because that group has the highest risk of dying.”

Melbourne facilities struggling to cope

Melbourne aged care homes are continuing to struggle to cope with outbreaks.

Victorian premier Daniel Andrews confirmed on Sunday that Western Health has taken over the operations of Japara Goonawarra Aged Care Home in Sunbury and Doutta Galla Aged Services home in Yarraville, following claims residents were being left without food for hours and without enough staff to clothe and bathe residents. 

According to a report by the ABC, residents at Doutta Galla who had tested negative to COVID-19 had been transferred to hospital to prevent them from contracting the virus, while five who had tested positive had also been transferred to hospital.

There have been 72 cases associated with the Japara facility, 43 residents and 24 staff, and 58 cases associated with Doutta Galla, 33 residents and 25 staff.

Seven residents have died at Doutta Galla.

Mr Hunt said last night Joe Buffone, who leads the Aged Care Response Team, responded to calls from Doutta Galla for extra staff in the middle of the night on Sunday, which have been provided in addition to additional AUSMAT assistance.

Residents with COVID-19 must go to hospital

The news comes as the federal Health Minister Greg Hunt called for any resident to be sent to hospital if they test positive for COVID-19 and are assessed as having “a clinical need”.

“I know there are some facilities that have reported resistance at local hospital level,” he said at a press conference on Sunday. 

“Any aged care resident who is positive that has a clinical need must be transferred,” Mr Hunt said.

“It’s being done on the basis of the medical advice,” he said.

“We’ve had that agreement now from the Victorian Government.”  

Mr Hunt said one of the main priorities of the Victorian Aged Care Response Centre is to move aged care residents to hospital, and about 414 residents have been transferred so far.   

However, Mr Hunt did not go so far as to say that all aged care residents who test positive for COVID-19 will be sent to hospital, a policy that has been adopted in South Australia and Queensland and backed by Aged and Community Services Australia (ACSA) and Leading Age Services Australia (LASA).

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Are traineeships an effective way to train aged care staff?

An aged care facility can only deliver the standard of care we expect for our seniors if compassionate, committed, and educated staff are tending to residents empathetically and knowledgeably. It is the quality of care that these staff provide on the floor to residents all day, every day that is the measure of the industry,... Read More

Providers asked to appoint infection control specialists nine months into pandemic

  A Canberra aged care leader says the government’s requirement that providers appoint infection control specialists nine months into the pandemic is “hilarious” and comes “too late”. Aged care homes have been given just over two weeks to appoint infection control specialists, as recommended by the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety. The secretary... Read More

Two-hourly repositioning to prevent bedsores is “abuse”, study says

New research from the University of New South Wales has raised questions about the correct way to care for those requiring pressure area care. The common practice of repositioning every two hours those at risk of developing bedsores may be interrupting their natural sleep rhythms, causing them to become more agitated and distressed, according to the new... Read More
Advertisement