Sep 03, 2020

Aged Care Minister receives vote of no confidence in Senate

The Senate has censured Aged Care Minister Richard Colbeck for his handling of the aged care sector’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The motion was moved by Labor senate leader Penny Wong, who said that in a senate hearing, Aged Care Minister could not recall the number of deaths in aged care homes during the pandemic. She said he failed to “take responsibility” for the failings in aged care’s response to the COVID-19.

The motion was approved by 25 votes to 21.

“(The Senate) censures the Minister for Aged Care and Senior Australians for: failing to recall the most basic and tragic facts about aged care residents, describing his management of aged care as a ‘high water mark’,” the motion said.

“Dismissing deaths as a ‘function’ of aged care, and ailing to take responsibility for the devastating crisis in the aged care sector, which has caused death, grief and untold trauma for vulnerable Australians and their families.”

Censure motions have “significant political impact”

According to the Parliament House website, “If there is dissatisfaction with the performance of a particular minister, a censure motion may be moved.

“Although a resolution of the Senate censuring the government or a minister can have no direct constitutional or legal consequences, as an expression of the Senate’s disapproval of actions or policies they may have significant political impact.”

PM defends his minister

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has continued to defend Mr Colbeck. 

After Mr Colbeck’s censure, the Prime Minister said the upper house has censured people from Paul Keating to John Howard.

Mr Morrison said Senator Colbeck had brought federal and state governments together to tackle aged care outbreaks, and he was an advocate for increased funding to the sector.

He said many of the reasons the royal commission had been called were because of issues raised by Mr Colbeck.

“The many serious issues that require addressing in aged care, and particularly the unacceptable circumstances that occurred in a number of facilities, are the very reason why the Aged Care Royal Commission was called,” Mr Morrison said.

“It is the very reason why the government – in particular, at the strong urging and recommendation of the Minister for Aged Care – has continued to increase funding for aged care.”

“It is the reason why the Minister for Aged Care came to the cabinet and said we needed to do more in aged care in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and did so in response to the plan that was first launched back in March.”

Image: Richard Colbeck website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

4 in 10 nursing homes have a COVID outbreak and the death rate is high. What’s going wrong?

Around 3% (6,100) of the 200,000 residents in Australia’s aged care facilities had COVID, as of July 22, in addition to 3,400 staff. Read More

Max’s story: Finding the power of speech again

During Speech Pathology Week, Speech Pathology Australia is raising awareness of the prevalence of communication disabilities among older people, often leaving them feeling vulnerable and isolated, and cut off from the world around them. Being able to communicate with our fellow humans satisfies one of our most basic human needs – the ability to be... Read More

Has the AN-ACC funding model impacted lifestyle and leisure coordination?

How we fund aged care has been a hot topic, and the Australian National Aged Care Classification (AN-ACC) saw changes within the industry – some for the good and some for the worst.  Read More
Advertisement