Feb 09, 2024

Aged care worker charged for allegedly “stomping” on 95-year-old client

Untitled design - 2024-02-09T102128.094
The man has been charged with aggravated common assault and will appear in Perth Magistrates Court (pictured). [Source: AAP]

An aged care worker in Western Australia has been fired and charged with assault after allegedly stomping on a female resident in his care.

The West Australian reported that a WA Police spokesman said a Cannington man, 33, was employed at the Bethanie Aged Care facility in Como when he repeatedly stomped on the feet of a 95-year-old woman in January.

The incident was reported to the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission and Bethanie interim Chief Executive, Roule Jones, told Daily Mail Australia the former employee was immediately sacked as soon as the facility became aware of the allegations.

“An internal investigation was immediately launched, and we are also working with WA Police while they conduct a full inquiry.  

“Bethanie has apologised to our residents and their families and is deeply regretful that this has occurred.”

The man has been charged with aggravated common assault and is due to appear in Perth Magistrates Court on March 5.

This follows news from earlier this week which saw a former aged care worker face court over allegations she had stolen $16,000 from a client over five years. 

Former home care worker Joanne Whyte, 53, is said to have accessed her client’s bank account – who police prosecution believed to have “cognitive and mental deficits” – on 130 occasions and transferred money of various sums to her account.

Untitled design - 2024-02-09T102331.804
Joanne Whyte attending court. [Source: The Daily Telegraph - Sam Ruttyn]

Ms Whyte pleading not guilty to dishonestly gaining financial advantage by deception appeared in Port Kembla Local Court on Monday with her defence lawyer claiming she withdrew money with the older woman’s permission to pay for things she wanted. 

Prosecuting police told the court the home care client was unable to give evidence due to the progression of her dementia and that she was about to go into full-time care.

The matter is still before the court and no charges have been laid thus far.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Elderly man dies after coward punch in Adelaide CBD

An 89-year-old man who was the victim of an unprovoked attack two weeks ago, has died in hospital after suffering a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain. Police are now asking Adelaide shoppers who witnessed the attack to come forward. Read More

Aged care worker avoids jail after stealing $30,000 from elderly clients

An aged care worker who was found guilty of stealing jewellery and cash worth up to $30,000 from elderly clients he avoided jail time, receiving only a suspended sentence and community service. Read More

Older viewers see straight through ‘random act of kindness’ video

When a TikTok influencer posted a video of himself handing Maree* a bunch of flowers in a Melbourne shopping centre, he reduced her to a stereotype: the lonely old woman. Read More
Advertisement