Warning: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander readers are advised that this article contains images and the name of a person who has died.
The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission (ACQSC) has chastised a Victorian nursing home in a report following their investigation into the death of resident, Dennis Miller.
70-year-old Dennis Miller was a resident at the Royal Freemasons aged care centre in Moe where he was found unresponsive outside of his room in the facility on May 15, 2022, raising concerns about clinical negligence.
Questions around the facility’s actions after Mr Miller was found unresponsive, whether he was checked overnight, and why photos of his body were taken and allegedly distributed, were raised after he was found in his own blood and vomit and died.
The incident sparked investigations and a coronial review into Mr Miller’s death after his family complained.
ABC News reported that ACQSC’s investigation found the facility had multiple failings and criticised its staff for waiting 21 minutes to call an ambulance. It was also found that staff took photos of Mr Miller before calling the ambulance and “did not appropriately monitor” him overnight despite him being given strong prescribed painkillers, having a history of falls, and drinking alcohol the night before he died.
Furthermore, the report outlined that staff didn’t provide clinical assistance such as basic first aid when they found him – they instead went to check if Mr Miller had a do-not-resuscitate order. The order was in place when he died.
The report noted that basic medical attention could have “resulted in a different outcome” but that it was now “a matter for the coroner to determine”.
The Commission audited the facility in January, and the following month revealed it had failed two of the 44 mandatory quality standards. Despite this, the Commission extended the home’s accreditation for another year in February.