Nov 10, 2020

Coronavirus vaccine 90% successful as clinical trials continue

In the race to develop a viable vaccine for coronavirus, American company Pfizer, has announced their vaccine is currently sitting at a 90% success rate. 

As one of four potential vaccines, the Australian Government has agreed to purchase it if it is successful. This news has come as a welcome relief and caused a surge of optimism as the battle against the spread of the virus continues. 

So far, in early testing, results from the vaccine have shown promising results in 94 infections being treated in the trial. Pfizer, along with their German partner in developing the vaccine, BioNTech, are currently on track to apply to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for emergency use of the vaccine.

Australia’s Federal Health Minister, Greg Hunt, said the Government would monitor any further results as Pfizer’s vaccine trials continue. 

“The data on our vaccine candidates continues to be positive. We will examine the evidence carefully but the latest results are heartening news,” he said.

However, despite this good news, authorities have reinforced the fact that it is unlikely we will see a vaccine fully approved before the end of the year. 

As testing continues on the Pfizer and BioNTech vaccine, it is clear that while these early results are encouraging, there is still a way to go before the vaccine is fully approved for use. As the trials continue, Pfizer has warned that this success rate may change and drop as more COVID-19 infections are added to the calculations. 

While the study and the results are in their earliest stages, this positive result has given hope for the future of vaccines against the virus. 

Dr Anthony Fauci, the United State’s top most expert on infectious diseases called the result “just extraordinary”.

“Not very many people expected it would be as high as that,” he said.

“It’s going to have a major impact on everything we do with respect to COVID.”

If the Pfizer vaccine continues to travel through trials successfully, they estimate they could have 50 million doses, enough to vaccinate 25 million people, available globally by the end of 2020. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

COVID-19 and the Royal Commission: The Hon Tony Pagone QC responds

It is important for the public to understand that this Royal Commission is not able, and is not intending, to conduct a full inquiry into that impact. We simply do not have the resources or time to conduct an inquiry that would do justice to the issues which have arisen so far and continue to change and develop. The issues associated with the impacts of COVID-19 in aged care warrant an inquiry of their own. Read More

A major ivermectin study has been withdrawn – so what now for the controversial drug?

A large clinical trial that seemed to show positive results for ivermectin has been withdrawn. So you’d think that would be end of the ivermectin saga. But research into ivermectin is ongoing. Here’s what the evidence says so far and what we can expect next. Read More

1,008 active cases in aged care

Victoria now has 5,919 active cases. 397 new COVID-19 cases and three deaths have been recorded in Victoria in the past 24 hours. The three deaths include: A man in his 80s, a woman in her 80s and a woman in her 90s all believed to be residents previously living in an aged care home.... Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version