Sep 03, 2020

Declining inspections and slow responses: aged care regulator gets it’s own review

It has been revealed there was a dramatic decline in home care quality inspections this year and the regulator was dangerously slow to issue compliance responses to homes experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks, as Australia’s aged care regulator went under the microscope this week.

Appearing before the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety on Wednesday, the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commissioner, Janet Anderson, admitted the number of inspections of home care services had declined in the last year.

It was also revealed the regulator issued ‘notices to agree’ in aged care facilities only after COVID-19 outbreaks had already occurred.

Home care inspections down

The royal commission heard on Wednesday that the number of quality inspections of home care services had declined in the last year, despite the Quality Commission being given more than $6.5 million to employ more assessors.

Counsel assisting the royal commission, Peter Gray QC, said there had been “a remarkable reduction” in the number of quality reviews and assessment contacts in home services.

He showed documents revealing there were 145 home care quality reviews in the March quarter of 2019 and 181 quality reviews in the June quarter 2019, but only 24 quality reviews in the September quarter 2019, 22 in the December quarter, and 29 in the March 2020 quarter.

When pressed, Ms Anderson admitted, “I think the point you are making is valid … regulatory activity in so far as you would include quality reviews and assessment contacts, as reported, have declined.”

The decline was attributed to increased staff turnover, in part because of the retirement of a number of experienced staff, but also because of the use of contractors.

In its submission to the royal commission, the Quality Commission said it was increasing its home care compliance activity, but the change was progressing “more slowly than planned”.

Regulator’s slow response to COVID-19 outbreaks in aged care homes

Information provided to the Senate’s COVID-19 committee shows the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission issued 10 “notices to agree” in the five months to 4 August.

A ‘notice to agree’ is officially called a ‘Notice of Requirement to Agree to Certain Matters’. It sets out terms the provider must implement to address compliance failures. If not adhered to, the provider will lose its accreditation.

According to reports in The Age, St Basil’s Home for the Aged already had 51 cases of COVID-19 when it received a “notice to agree”.

Estia Health in Ardeer received its notice on 26 July when it already had 68 cases.

Epping Gardens had 82 cases on 28 July, when it received its notice.

Of the 10 facilities issued with ‘notices to agree’, 403 residents contracted COVID-19 and 75 residents died.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

What ratings mean for aged care providers

On Wednesday, 18 April 2018, the Commonwealth Minister for Aged Care, Ken Wyatt, announced that the government will move ahead with introducing recommendations from the Carnell-Paterson Review into aged care quality regulatory processes. More specifically, it will move forward with a new Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission, a Serious Incident Response Scheme, and publicly... Read More

Your Diet and Cancer, Seniors Nutrition Tips

Cancer treatments such radiation, chemotherapy and other tests can be hard on one’s body at any age, but in particular for the older population. Sometimes older patients that are too frail or have other medical problems may be deemed not suitable to receive anticancer treatments in the first place. Estimated number of new cancer cases... Read More

Morrison Government’s aged care regulator issues zero sanctions to Victorian homes

New data has revealed the Morrison Government’s aged care regulator did not sanction one Victorian home at the height of the state’s COVID-19 second wave. The data on the performance of the Morrison Government’s regulator between July and September also reveals just 18 homes in Victoria were given notices to agree despite hundreds of outbreaks... Read More
Advertisement