Nov 16, 2021

Drunk aged care worker avoids prison after driving into a group of cyclists

The first Elaine Selwood, 47, knew of her criminal offence was when she awoke in the police watch-house unaware of how she came to be there.

Appearing before Queensland’s Wynnum Magistrates Court on Monday, the mother of four pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer, driving while under the influence of alcohol, and driving without a license, according to a report in The Courier Mail.

Selwood, who was driving without a license and had a blood alcohol reading of 0.244 – five times the legal limit – drove through the group of cyclists as they crossed a pedestrian crossing early on the morning of August 8, the court heard.

Magistrate Zachary Sarra said, “But for the grace of god you didn’t kill someone.”

When police arrived at the scene, Selwood forcefully pushed an officer who was taking a statement from one of the cyclists. She was promptly arrested, police said.

Selwood had a history of drink driving. In 2004 she was found to be driving with a blood alcohol reading of 0.09, and in 2008 recorded driving with a reading of 0.141.

The police prosecutor proposed a three-month jail sentence would be appropriate, considering her drink-driving history and the risk to the community.

When Selwood woke in a police holding cell, she was “embarrassed and remorseful,” said defence solicitor Sarah Pascoe, according to a report in The Courier Mail.

Selwood told the court she had been under considerable stress at the time, and had been upset by being unable to visit her father, who is unwell, in Papua New Guinea during lockdowns at the time. She said she turns to alcohol in times of need.

“It is wrong. I am embarrassed and I feel stupid,” she told the court, according to The Courier Mail.

But the magistrate was clearly angry.

“You are lucky you are not charged with reckless driving causing death,” he said.

He said her offence was particularly “disturbing” considering her healthcare career.

Selwood was sentenced to two years’ probation.

She has been disqualified from driving for a further nine months, was fined $600, and ordered to pay $500 to the officer she assaulted.

Though spared a criminal conviction, Selwood will have a traffic conviction recorded against her.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Home care waitlist blows out to 120,000 as Aged Care Minister shrugs off crisis

Aged Care Minister Sam Rae is under mounting pressure as home care waitlists explode from 28,000 to 120,000 in just two years. Thousands of seniors are dying before receiving help, while families say the new Support at Home rollout will be a full-blown crisis. Read More

Have your say on Carer Recognition Act reforms now

The Government wants to hear from Australia’s 2.65 million unpaid carers in order to reshape the Carer Recognition Act for the first time. Read More

“We have got to the desperate stage now”: Elderly couple faces homelessness after government rejects request

An elderly couple who were due to move to Victoria this week to be closer to family while they overcome serious health issues are now at risk of being left with nowhere to live, after the Victorian government refused them entry from NSW. Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version