Dec 03, 2021

Elderly man dies 50km away from new home waiting for Queensland border to reopen

Qld police border control
Photo: mypolice.qld.gov.au

The 78-year-old was living with his wife and daughter in Tenterfield when he suddenly died.

The family were in the midst of moving to Stanthorpe in Queensland to live with their son.

But the state’s extremely rigid border restrictions meant the elderly couple and their daughter were forced to set up camp in Tenterfield in northern NSW – just 50km from Stanthorpe over the Queensland border.

The Courier Mail has reported the man’s application for a border exemption, which he submitted in early November, was withdrawn seven days later. 

Bunderberg resident, Susan Hosking – who is also currently banned from re-entering her home state of Queensland after travelling to Victoria to see her dying mother – told the same publication that the elderly man found the border exemption process overwhelming. 

“I had been told he got very, very stressed out about the thought of having to pay for a PCR test.” 

Following reports a man had been found unresponsive at a caravan park on Rouse St, Tenterfield, NSW Police arrived. 

The elderly man sadly could not be revived after being treated at the scene. 

“Officers from New England Police District attended and commenced an investigation into the man’s death,” said a statement issued by NSW Police. 

The Courier Mail also reported that the elderly man was believed to be a full-time carer for two female family members, aged 55 and 71, who lived with him, and who had been granted travel exemptions to cross the border. 

Stating how hard it is to understand how a situation like this could happen, Queensland Opposition Leader, David Crisafulli, described the circumstances as “harrowing”.

“I have said all along, you can be safe and compassionate at the same time.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Public Trustee slammed for gagging vulnerable older person, depriving him of personal records

Public guardianships and Trustees have received scrutiny for their gag orders, lack of transparency and inclusion of the older people they care for. Read More

Royal commissioners split on future direction of aged care

The royal commissioners failed to reach an agreement on the best way to structure and fund Australia’s aged care system and instead have put forward a range of recommendations that were not unanimously agreed upon. The report, which is expected to be released today, contains a range of recommendations including having higher taxes or greater reliance on user-pays contributions to fund aged care services, according to reports in The Australian. Read More

Estate Agent Jailed After Defrauding Elderly Client of $100k

A young estate agent has been jailed after exploiting her position to steal $100,000 from an 80-year-old client to fund her lavish lifestyle and to settle her brother’s debts with a bikie gang. Read More
Advertisement