Feb 28, 2020

Government abandons plan to privatise ACAT

 

The federal government has abandoned its plan to put Aged Care Assessment Teams to tender, after it was slammed by the royal commissioners, state governments and even its own MP.

A Council of Australian Governments health council communique stated, “The Commonwealth has confirmed that it is not proceeding with the current tender process.”

The government said it will now take advice from states and territories and the royal commission about the “exact delivery mix”.

Shadow Minister for Ageing and Seniors, Julie Collins, said “vulnerable older Australians” would have been “impacted” by the previously proposed changes.

The change of heart follows comments by Minister for Health Greg Hunt earlier in the day at a COAG meeting of health ministers that his government would be “revisiting” the tender and it was “unlikely to proceed”.

Plan was ill conceived 

Ms Collins said, “The Morrison Government must now give a clear assurance that this important work will continue to be done by experienced and well-qualified assessors in conjunction with the states and territories.”

“The Morrison Government’s aged care privatisation plan was ill conceived from the beginning,” Ms Collins said.

Plan slammed by royal commissioners and government’s own MP

Ever since the plan was progressed just before Christmas it has attracted intense criticism. 

In January, the Aged Care Royal Commissioners issued a public correction to the Minister for Aged Care Richard Colbeck’s claim they supported the plan to privatise aged care assessments.

“I take this opportunity to make clear that the Interim Report did not endorse the government’s stated position but noted that we would monitor with interest the implementation which the Government had announced,” wrote Commissioner Pagone.

Earlier this week, the government’s own MP, Russell Broadbent, slammed the plan, saying neither David Tune nor the royal commission had said ACAT services should be contracted out.

“I’ve been in situations… where areas have been contracted out, and there is a great loss of experience that is extended to people,” he said in a speech.

Ms Collins said, “It made no sense to privatise these assessments before the final report of the Aged Care Royal Commission is released in November.”

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Aged Care for The Forgotten: Elderly and Homeless

Most people in aged care are admitted by loved ones, family and friends, who want the best care for them. But what about older Australians who don’t have families to help them transition into aged care? Or those who find themselves homeless with nowhere to go? Michael Deschepper from Wintringham Specialist Aged Care spoke at... Read More

Why Isn’t Dental Included in Medicare?

Is it time to add dental care to Medicare? With millions of Australians avoiding dental treatment due to high costs, the conversation around universal dental coverage is heating up. Read More

Home care provider sanctioned, deemed “severe risk”

A South Australian home care provider has been sanctioned after the Department of Health deemed it “an immediate and severe risk to the health, safety and wellbeing of care recipients”. The sanctions mean Assist Home Care won’t receive government funding to take on any new care recipients for six months. The Department of Health wrote... Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version