May 30, 2018

Government’s $1.6 billion home care package not what it seems

 

The Government and the Opposition are debating whether or not the budget contained ‘new’ money for aged care, or if funds have simply been redirected from residential care to more popular home care.

The Labor party has criticised the Government’s $5 billion aged care package for simply reallocating funds from residential care to more popular home care. It says $1.6 billion that had been allocated to nursing homes has simply been redirected to fund 14,000 home care packages.

The Australian has reported that the Coalition said funding tied to residential care places that didn’t become operational has been directed to home care.

The Australian Financial Review has stated that the aged care industry isn’t concerned. The industry says funding for residential care that wasn’t spent was returned to consolidated revenue, and has been redirected to home care, where demand is strongest and waiting lists are long.

Residential care is more expensive than home care and has seen a drop in demand in recent years, while home care is cheaper to provide and is in strong demand, in part because it helps the elderly to stay in their home for longer.

Analysis in The Australian shows the Gillard Government also swapped funding from residential to home care in budgets between 2010 and 2012.

Health Minister Greg Hunt told The Australian, “Under the Coalition, every year home-care packages are up, residential aged-care places are up and aged-care funding is up.”

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. There comes a point where home care is no longer adequate and residential care is a must….

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Get To Know 2017 Senior Australian of the Year Finalists

Every year the National Australia Day Council awards the Australian of the Year Awards to a few select people that have brought change and contribution to our country. The prestigious awards, which have been running since 1960, have four main categories that are honoured: Australian of the Year Senior Australian of the Year (those aged... Read More

More nursing homes hit with sanctions

The rising number of sanctioned nursing homes in Australia was one of the key reasons the Prime Minister called for a Royal Commission into aged care last year. Bupa Eden and Minda Nursing Homes are two of the latest facilities to have been hit with the penalties. The Department of Health has declared Bupa Eden,... Read More

Aged care resident had to “beg” for doctor during heart attack

  The Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety has been in Canberra this week, hearing about the adequacy of health care access for people in the aged care system, and looking at ways to improve the interfaces between the aged care and health care systems. On Monday, Rhonda McIntosh told the royal commission... Read More
Advertisement