May 17, 2024

Great-grandmother Finds Comfort in Magpies’ Embrace After E-Scooter Attack

Great-grandmother Finds Comfort in Magpies' Embrace After E-Scooter Attack
A great-grandmother is finally ready to smile after recovering from a cowardly attack following the Carlton vs Collingwood game at the MCG two weeks ago. (9News ).

A great-grandmother is finally ready to smile after recovering from a cowardly attack following the Carlton vs Collingwood game at the MCG two weeks ago.

80-year-old Jessie Hatch received severe injuries after being intentionally run over by a man traveling on an e-scooter. To her surprise, it was the old enemy of her beloved Maggpies – the Carlton Cheer Squad – who were the first group of people to render assistance following the attack.

“It seems I passed out, and they couldn’t find a pulse or heartbeat. I came to with someone shouting my name, telling me to wake up. My son was also very upset,” Hatch recounted to 9News.

Her son, Greg, expressed confidence in his mother’s resilience. “She was born in Carlton—although she won’t admit it—but she was raised in Collingwood,” he said. “They make them tough in Collingwood, tougher than any of us.”

Sporting her Magpies jumper, Hatch was invited to the team’s training session yesterday where she received warm support from the players.

Forward Dan McStay expressed sympathy, saying, “I’m so sorry that happened to you.”

Despite her injuries, Hatch remains determined to attend her beloved games. “This is just amazing,” she said. “I’m going to the game on Saturday. Nothing’s going to keep me away.”

Hatch also plans to put aside rivalries to visit Princes Park and meet the Carlton fan who came to her aid. Meanwhile, the 46-year-old man accused of intentionally knocking her down remains in custody, awaiting his next court appearance on May 22.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Police believe they are closing in on the killer of elderly campers

It is believed that Victorian police have made recent headway in regards to solving the case of missing elderly campers Carol Clay and Russel Hill, who vanished in the Victorian Alps last year. Read More

Government quietly extends Support at Home claims deadline amid rollout chaos

Providers now have 90 days to claim for the first quarter of Support at Home. The government calls it a transitional fix. Critics say it exposes deeper flaws in the reform. Read More

NSW aged cares homes to allow visitors from October 11

The NSW government has at last announced when visitors will be allowed back into nursing homes. From 11 October, two fully vaccinated people will be allowed to visit loved ones in residential aged care. Read More
Advertisement