Jan 18, 2024

Older couple admit road rage was the reason for keying luxury cars

Untitled design - 2024-01-17T144507.766
The offending couple made a quick exit from court on Tuesday to avoid media attention. [Source: NCA News Wire]

An older Brisbane couple has admitted they keyed two luxury cars as an act of frustration and revenge, apologising in court for their actions which were caught on camera.

Raymond and Barbara Edwards, both 70, were captured on video keying a BMW and Tesla at Brookside Shopping Centre in Mitchelton in October last year and were charged with wilful damage. The video came from cameras built into the damaged Tesla. 

Appearing in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Tuesday, the couple pleaded guilty to their charge but their defence lawyer, Bruce Peters, said his clients apologise for their actions which were allegedly a result of the luxury cars cutting them off about 800 metres from the shopping centre which, “almost forced them into a power pole.” 

“Once they regained their composure, they continued onto the Brookside Shopping Centre and lo and behold, the two cars that they thought were the ones that cut them off – a white BMW and a white Tesla – were parked adjacent to one another,” Mr Peters said.

Untitled design - 2024-01-17T144607.733
Screenshots taken from the video of the offence. [Source: NCA News Wire]

Police prosecutor Sergeant Josh Kelly said officers had received quotes for the damage to each vehicle, amounting to over $4,000 in total, and requested the couple pay the repair costs despite the possibility the car owners might have had insurance.

“The community at large suffers if we rely on the insurance to cover expenses,” he said.

The couple were each given a $500 good behaviour bond for 12 months.

No convictions were recorded and the couple made a quick exit from the court to avoid any media attention. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Queensland man who tortured elderly housemate is denied bail

Marc Joseph Loborec, 28, was refused bail yesterday as he fronted court charged with torturing and holding captive a man in his Queensland home. Read More

Grant scheme provides mental health relief for healthcare workers, first responders

Healthcare workers and first responders reportedly have double the rate of diagnosed mental health conditions compared to the general population (39% compared to 20%) and their vulnerability to mental health injuries is clear and worrying.  Read More

Older widower with dementia wins eviction battle with QLD Government

An older widower with dementia has successfully won a battle against the Queensland Government’s to demolish his home in the name of development. Read More
Advertisement