Jul 31, 2020

Shocking revelations of community ignorance are putting older people at risk

The most vulnerable older Australians – whether in aged care or living at home – are being put at risk of COVID-19 infection and death by community members ignoring quarantine rules. 

Revelations today that more than a quarter (130) of positive cases in Victoria doorknocked by ADF teams in the past 24 hours appeared to be flouting self-isolation rules were alarming. 

Reports from Queensland of individuals who travelled from hot spot areas interstate and allegedly did not declare their movements or self-isolate have prompted a desperate appeal from those on the front line of the fight against COVID-19 within aged care. 

“It is shocking that so many people appear to be putting vulnerable at-risk Australians in the firing line of COVID-19,” said Leading Age Services Australia CEO Sean Rooney. 

“Aged care staff and providers are on the frontline of COVID-19 but every person across Victoria and our nation is fundamental to the fight. 

“Aged care providers have been on high alert for months and need collaboration from the entire community.” 

While we are doing all we can to mitigate the risk of infection in aged care homes, we know that widespread community transmission can lead to infections in these high-risk environments. 

“This has been a key and tragic driver of the outbreaks in residential aged care across metropolitan Melbourne and Victoria,” Mr Rooney said. 

“Aged care staff and operators are being vigilant in their efforts to minimise the risk of infection in aged care homes. 

“Sadly, these risks cannot be entirely eliminated and stopping widespread community transmission is the best way to protect older Australians either in care or in their own homes. 

“This requires every single Australian to maintain heightened vigilance with regards to social distancing, hygiene and local regulations like wearing masks. 

“In the event a person is exposed to COVID-19 risk factors, becomes symptomatic or tests positive, they must immediately go into self-isolation. 

“Ignoring this can be potentially be fatal. 

“Vigilance and community compliance to prevent the spread of coronavirus to the most at-risk Australians must be foremost in everyone’s mind. 

“This is a national priority – the situation facing Victoria is a deadly warning for the nation. 

“Unchecked and asymptomatic community transmission of coronavirus has a devastating impact on older Australians, especially those in care.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Chief Medical Officer writes to aged care providers about coronavirus

Dear colleagues, I am writing to update you on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and to outline the Commonwealth’s current and future support for the central role you are playing in our national response. I thank you for your efforts so far and encourage you to maintain your vigilance in assisting to prevent further transmission of... Read More

Keeping aged care residents connected

The COVID-19 crisis has left some of our most vulnerable citizens – people in residential aged care – cut off from the outside world. Not only has COVID-19 shutout friends and family from visiting their loved ones in aged care homes, it has also reduced the social programs on offer, leaving those living in aged... Read More

Two men in NSW die shortly after receiving COVID-19 vaccinations

The tragic and unexpected deaths of two men shortly after receiving their vaccinations are now being investigated by the TGA, though no links have been established between the deaths and the COVID-19 jabs. Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version