Aug 02, 2020

Veteran Soldiers called up to support Victorian aged care homes in their fight

As the COVID pandemic worsens in Victoria over the weekend, Veteran soldiers are being recruited to assist the aged care sector.

Ironside Recruitment posted the ad on their Facebook page, “Casual staff needed – training to be provided”. The crew of ex-defence must be capable of carrying out testing across aged care homes in Melbourne.

On Friday it was confirmed by Professor Allison McMillan, Commonwealth Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer, that the highly skilled AUSMAT team sent in to support StBasil’s aged care home in Victoria tested positive for COVID-19.

Professor McMillan said, the decision to move all residents out of StBasil’s was made “partly due to the fact that unfortunately, three additional staff members tested positive, that it was time for us to move all remaining residents from that facility into hospital”.

“Which highlights the challenges we face in managing this outbreak. So, the staff that came to help in that difficult time a few- 10 days ago, are now, unfortunately, have tested positive.

Now, they have been isolated and will remain in isolation. They aren’t at work”.

With over 1,008 active cases across over 100 aged care homes reported yesterday, with those numbers expected to further to increase today.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews will be holding a press conference this afternoon to provide an update on current active cases.

There have been rumours circling on social media about a potential Stage 4 restriction across Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, however, nothing has been confirmed as yet.

The Department of Health has resources on how to manage positive COVID-19 cases in the “First 24 hours” on its website for aged care providers, they can be found here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Aged Care Minister Asks Providers To Restrict Visits

Residential aged care providers will be encouraged to limit visits from today under national guidelines aimed at the prevention and control of coronavirus. Aged Care Minister Richard Colbeck said the advice from the Communicable Disease Network of Australia issued to aged care facilities around Australia outlines the precautionary measures for residents, staff and their families... Read More

Providers found guilty of COVID breaches could be charged under new workplace manslaughter laws

WorkSafe Victoria is investigating more than 50 aged care homes over suspected breaches of Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) laws last year during deadly COVID-19 outbreaks. Organisations can face million-dollar fines or executives can face jail sentences under new workplace manslaughter laws. Read More

Is Delta defeating us? Here’s why the variant makes contact tracing so much harder

With NSW still recording close to 100 cases a day, NSW Health reports that contact tracers are finding almost 100% of family members infected compared with roughly 30% last year. Read More
Advertisement