Sep 21, 2020

Victorian premier says staff ratios could have saved aged care during pandemic

 

The Victorian premier has weighed in to the debate about aged care staffing numbers, suggesting the federal government could have done more to prevent outbreaks in aged care facilities if it had implemented mandatory staff ratios in aged care homes.

In a press conference this morning, premier Daniel Andrews said his government is limited in what it can do in aged care, because the sector is funded and regulated by the federal government.

There have been almost 2,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases among aged care residents in Victoria since January, including over 600 deaths.

Despite the crisis, Mr Andrews said he is still hearing of casual staff working across multiple facilities.

But he said there is little his government can do to stop this from occurring, other than providing financial support for casual workers required to test and self-isolate.

Mr Andrews said the federal government could have done more to ensure private aged care facilities were better prepared for COVID-19 outbreaks.

“There’s a lot of things we could do, we could have nurse-to-patient ratios like we do in public aged care, but I do not have the power to do that,” the premier said.

Aged care homes across most of Australia do not have mandated staffing ratios, it is instead left to providers to determine what they believe to be the most appropriate staffing levels. 

However, aged care staff ratios are mandated in Queensland and Victoria.

In public aged care homes in Victoria, there must be one nurse for every seven residents in the morning, one for every eight in the afternoon, and one nurse for every 15 residents at night.

A report published in the Journal of the American Medical Association released last month, showed that in 4,255 aged care homes across eight states in the United States, those with more nurses had fewer cases of COVID-19.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Death toll rises at Newmarch, NSW Chief Health Officer cautions over laying blame

The death toll of the coronavirus outbreak at Newmarch House in Western Sydney has now reached 16. This terribly sad news comes as the latest resident died Tuesday morning after testing positive to COVID-19.  Since the outbreak first began on April 13, there have been a total of 66 infections linked to the home, including... Read More

Plan continues to “evolve”: aged care minister responds to Royal Commission claims

  The Aged Care Minister has hit back at comments made at yesterday’s royal commission hearing that the aged care sector was “underprepared” to deal with COVID-19. At the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety yesterday, counsel assisting Peter Rozen QC forensically examined the response of the aged care sector to COVID-19.  His... Read More

Are pandemic visiting rules impacting care?

Bans on visitors have left some aged care residents vulnerable, as non-official caregivers have been prevented from providing physical and emotional support during the COVID-10 pandemic. Read More
Advertisement