Sep 23, 2021

Visitors to aged care homes may still need to social distance and wear PPE

Minister for Senior Australians and Aged Care Services, Richard Colbeck, has provided Australians with their first indication of what Australia’s plan to allow visitors back into aged care homes may look like.

In an interview with The Sydney Morning Herald, Mr Colbeck told reporters that he wants to see a firm plan put in place “as soon as possible”, which mimics the government’s gradual re-opening strategy once 70 and 80% vaccination targets are met.

“There will be circumstances, as they always have been, when access is restricted … but we’re dealing with something new, and we need to design the processes to deal with it,” said Mr Colbeck.

Hugs will be a welcome relief for aged care residents, many of which have spent the bulk of the last 18 months without the ability to meet with family members.

However, any notion of aged care visits going back to how they were before the pandemic were quashed, despite statistics that show 90% of residents are fully vaccinated and 98.8% of aged care staff have already had their first dose.

Mr Colbeck expects that mask-wearing will still be required for visitors in aged care, along with rapid antigen testing to pre-screen visitors. Social distancing inside nursing homes is also a measure that is being discussed.

“You’ve got vaccination, but you also still have screening and then you have physical measures to prevent the virus being spread – PPE, testing, those sorts of things that can help to mitigate it as well.”

Aged care looby groups and industry stalwarts have also been in discussion with the government regarding the aged care visitation plan.

Aged Care Services Australia (ACSA), Interim CEO, Paul Sadler, revealed that ACSA is currently working alongside both provider and consumer peak bodies to revise the current visitation code that was created in response to the pandemic.

“We now need to sit down with the consumer groups and discuss how can we lift restrictions in a sensible way, that doesn’t put people at additional risk, but that actually gets back to the human rights of older people to see their families, engage with friends, go out into the community,” said Mr Sadler.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. Interesting to see that very little planning has taken place in the lead up to a “living with Covid” life. Our vulnerable elderly deserve to be put front and centre not left behind like they were with vaccinations. They are hanging out to see their loved ones and they deserve this planning to have been top priority.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

It’s truly awful to think of elderly people being financially abused

A Western Australian elder abuse hotline has reported a sharp increase in calls, particularly calls in relation to financial abuse. The Advocare help line’s biggest increase in call numbers was seen in the last two months, when more than 200 calls were received, twice the numbers of calls received during the same period last year,... Read More

“$50,000 should not translate to just nine hours of care,” Royal Commission hears

Home care was under the Royal Commission’s spotlight on Monday, as the second set of hearings began. Raelene Ellis, a lawyer from Caloundra, Queensland, told the commission about her experience caring for her mother, Therese Ellis, who is living with dementia. Her mother was assessed as needing a level 3-4 package, and eventually did receive the... Read More

RFBI rolls out telehealth carts to improve resident healthcare access

With healthcare accessibility concerns impacting regional aged care homes, the Royal Freemasons’ Benevolent Institution (RFBI) has been rolling out several new telehealth carts across its homes, much to the excitement of residents and staff. Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version