Jul 12, 2021

10 healthcare workers in quarantine after rushing to save COVID-19 patient’s life

A patient at Sunshine Coast Hospital was being moved from the COVID-19 ward to a medical unit when they suffered anaphylactic shock in response to a dye used during a diagnostic scan.

Ten staff rushed to the aid of the patient, who required immediate care, ignoring the potential threat to their own safety. 

All have been deemed casual or primary contacts and are now in quarantine, according to a report by the ABC.

It is not known how many put on personal protective equipment or were vaccinated against COVID-19 at the time of the incident.

Andrew McDonald, Acting Chief Executive of Sunshine Coast Hospital, thanked the staff for their selfless and courageous actions.

Queensland’s Chief Health Officer, Jeannette Young, said the staff acted appropriately.

“These staff put themselves in harm’s way to help a patient in need. They put the patient’s welfare before their own.”

“Staff were required to act quickly and may not have been able to maintain full infection control while attending to the emergency,” Young said.

Apart from the 10 staff, no other people were put at risk, McDonald confirmed.

The areas of the hospital where the incident took place have been cleaned, and there was no further risk to other patients or staff or to the local community.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Older patients more likely to be prescribed outdated antiseizure medications

In the event of an ischemic stroke, older patients have been found to be prescribed older antiseizure medications, leaving them open to adverse reactions. Read More

Victorian premier says staff ratios could have saved aged care during pandemic

  The Victorian premier has weighed in to the debate about aged care staffing numbers, suggesting the federal government could have done more to prevent outbreaks in aged care facilities if it had implemented mandatory staff ratios in aged care homes. In a press conference this morning, premier Daniel Andrews said his government is limited... Read More

Providers found guilty of COVID breaches could be charged under new workplace manslaughter laws

WorkSafe Victoria is investigating more than 50 aged care homes over suspected breaches of Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) laws last year during deadly COVID-19 outbreaks. Organisations can face million-dollar fines or executives can face jail sentences under new workplace manslaughter laws. Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version