Jun 12, 2020

Bupa closes doors as former staff member tests positive to COVID-19 

Bupa Clayton has closed its doors to visitors after a former employee tested positive to COVID-19 following routine testing.

Bupa issued a statement thanking employees, residents and families for their support and understanding during the “stressful and anxious” time.

The former employee worked their last shift at Bupa Clayton on Thursday, 4 June, and is now in self-isolation. 

All staff and residents at the Victorian home are being tested for COVID-19.

“Employees, residents and recent visitors to the home can be assured that Bupa is doing everything possible to help ensure their health and safety,” a statement from Bupa said.

Bupa has put in place a number of extra precautions at the Clayton home to protect residents.

The extra measures include: 

  • twice-daily clinical observations of all residents, 
  • physical isolation of separate communities within the home, 
  • staff using PPE at all times, 
  • all hard surfaces deep cleaned, 
  • increased cleaning shifts in both the day and at night, and 
  • temperature screening of all staff when they arrive at the home.

Bupa has put in place measures that allow residents to communicate with loved ones by virtual means while visitors are not allowed.

99 cases in aged care

As of Thursday 11 June, Australia had recorded 68 cases of COVID-19 in residential aged care facilities, of those cases 27 have died. 

Most of the cases in residential aged care have been in New South Wales (61 cases, 25 deaths). 

Only five cases have been recorded in Victoria’s residential aged care facilities, of which four have recovered. No deaths have been recorded in residential aged care in Victoria.

Image: Jeremy Poland, iStock. Model is posed. Image does not represent people or events in this article.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Government’s coronavirus response too little, too late: QandA

  Last night’s episode of ABC’s QandA showed how the government’s failure to deliver timely, clear information in response to coronavirus is generating panic and fear in the community. With an audience of only a dozen or so, spread at least 1.5 metres apart throughout the studio, the effects of how coronavirus is changing our... Read More

How people react to the threat of disease could mean COVID-19 is reshaping personalities

Psychological research suggests that concerns about COVID-19 and social distancing are likely to affect how much people want to socialize with others, what they desire in partners and relationships, and their preferences for more conventional thinking over openness to new experiences. Read More

Planning to fail: the poor government plans that drove disaster 

Last week, the royal commission heard the federal government failed to properly prepare the aged care sector for the one-in-a-hundred-year COVID-19 pandemic. “Neither the Commonwealth Department of Health nor the aged care regulator developed a COVID-19 plan specifically for the aged care sector,” said counsel assisting the royal commission, Peter Rozen QC. The lack of... Read More
Advertisement