Nov 10, 2020

Coronavirus vaccine 90% successful as clinical trials continue

In the race to develop a viable vaccine for coronavirus, American company Pfizer, has announced their vaccine is currently sitting at a 90% success rate. 

As one of four potential vaccines, the Australian Government has agreed to purchase it if it is successful. This news has come as a welcome relief and caused a surge of optimism as the battle against the spread of the virus continues. 

So far, in early testing, results from the vaccine have shown promising results in 94 infections being treated in the trial. Pfizer, along with their German partner in developing the vaccine, BioNTech, are currently on track to apply to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for emergency use of the vaccine.

Australia’s Federal Health Minister, Greg Hunt, said the Government would monitor any further results as Pfizer’s vaccine trials continue. 

“The data on our vaccine candidates continues to be positive. We will examine the evidence carefully but the latest results are heartening news,” he said.

However, despite this good news, authorities have reinforced the fact that it is unlikely we will see a vaccine fully approved before the end of the year. 

As testing continues on the Pfizer and BioNTech vaccine, it is clear that while these early results are encouraging, there is still a way to go before the vaccine is fully approved for use. As the trials continue, Pfizer has warned that this success rate may change and drop as more COVID-19 infections are added to the calculations. 

While the study and the results are in their earliest stages, this positive result has given hope for the future of vaccines against the virus. 

Dr Anthony Fauci, the United State’s top most expert on infectious diseases called the result “just extraordinary”.

“Not very many people expected it would be as high as that,” he said.

“It’s going to have a major impact on everything we do with respect to COVID.”

If the Pfizer vaccine continues to travel through trials successfully, they estimate they could have 50 million doses, enough to vaccinate 25 million people, available globally by the end of 2020. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Woolworths brings in nurses to check staff in Melbourne’s COVID-19 hotspots

  Australian supermarket giant Woolworths has employed nurses to work in stores which are located in COVID-19 hotspot stores around Melbourne.  These nurses will be performing compulsory temperature checks on staff working in these stores and nurses have also been deployed to Woolworths distribution centres and customer online fulfilment centres where staff will also undergo... Read More

Third retention bonus for aged care staff

  The federal government has announced an additional $500 million for the aged care sector, including more than $150 million for a third aged care worker retention bonus payment. “Aged Care workers are continuing to provide invaluable care for our senior Australians,” aged care minister Richard Colbeck said in a statement. The government has allocated... Read More

Menarock sends 14 residents with COVID-19 to hospital

The cluster of COVID-19 cases at Melbourne’s Menarock Life aged care facility has grown to 28, and all 14 infected residents have been transferred to hospital for treatment. The other 21 Menarock residents are being re-tested for the deadly virus, according to a statement from the aged care provider. Menarock has employed an infection control coordinator on site,... Read More
Advertisement