Dec 19, 2019

Aged care minister issues high-temperature warning for elderly

The Minister for Aged Care, Richard Colbeck, is urging Australians to look out for the elderly and vulnerable as hot weather sweeps across the nation in the lead up to Christmas.

The increase in temperatures, expected to be widely felt across most States and Territories from today, has earlier prompted a Department of Health notice to the age care sector, urging providers to be prepared.

Minister for Aged Care Richard Colbeck said while it was important for people of all ages to follow advice and stay safe, it was vital the needs of the elderly remained a priority.  

“It’s really important for people to stay hydrated, keep cool and look after one another – particularly vulnerable members of the community like children and the elderly,” Minister Colbeck said.

“If you have an elderly neighbour or somebody you know who may need help in the trying conditions, pay them a visit and make sure they are OK.”

Aged care management were key to ensuring the welfare of staff and recipients as conditions heat up, Minister Colbeck said.  

“Providers should stay informed of current activity by monitoring local media and regularly checking for updates on the Bureau of Meteorology website and through their own state emergency agencies.”

Signs of heat stress include muscle cramps, pallor, dizziness, headache, nausea, increased heart rate, fainting, excessive sweating or no sweating with high temperature and hot, dry skin.

People who experience severe symptoms such as these should seek urgent medical advice. In an emergency please ring 000 (Triple 0).

The department has specific resources outlining the precautions aged care providers should take. These are available online:

Australians in affected regions can limit their risk of heat-related illness by drinking more water, limiting exposure to the sun, stocking up on food and medicines, having a plan and know to call for help.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Has the Government cut funding to aged care – or not?

While the Opposition claims that cuts to Government funding have contributed to a decline in aged care standards, the Government maintains that funding has risen every year. Who should we believe? The ABC Fact Check team has looked into the numbers, and its analysis shows that government funding has in fact risen every year over... Read More

Are we missing our chance for aged care reform?

  The government is moving too slowly to respond to the royal commission’s recommendations, and the shadow minister for aged care is concerned Australia could miss its chance for major reform. Speaking at Leading Aged Services Australia’s (LASA’s) Ten Days of Congress, Julie Collins MP, Shadow Minister for Ageing and Seniors, said she was “really... Read More

Bupa claims higher care needs to boost funding but slashes staff at same time

  The transcripts of The Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety can make for uncomfortable reading when correspondence never intended for a public audience is aired for the scrutiny of the commissioners. One such passage was presented last week, in which counsel assisting the royal commission, Peter Rozen QC, read to Stephanie Hechenberger,... Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version