Jan 16, 2025

Aged Care Resident Complains of Claustrophobia Amid Covid Isolation

Aged Care Resident Complains of Claustrophobia Amid Covid Isolation

An aged care resident has expressed feeling claustrophobic after being confined to her room during a recent Covid outbreak, describing the experience as “horrible.”

The resident, who wishes to remain anonymous, has spent the past week in isolation due to the outbreak, which has seen several cases reported within the facility located in Victoria’s Surf Coast region.

According to the Department of Health and Aged Care, the facility had recorded 14 active Covid cases as of last week.

“This is the second time infected residents have had to go into lockdown since I’ve been here,” the resident explained. “I’m claustrophobic, so this is my worst nightmare to be perfectly honest.”

She explained that the only fresh air she had been able to access was through her window, as she was not allowed to go outside or even keep her door open or ajar. “I’m not allowed to go outside or even keep the door open or slightly ajar,” she said.

The Department of Health and Aged Care guidelines state that, where practical, residents infected with the same respiratory pathogen should be cohorted together to allow for social interaction.

However, the resident claimed that, apart from interactions with staff who dropped off medicine and essentials, she had been unable to see anyone for seven days.

“I’ve wondered why (staff) can’t wear PPE and masks and take us out to get some air,” she said.

While the facility has not commented on the matter, the incident highlights ongoing concerns over the mental and emotional toll of isolation in aged care settings, especially for those already vulnerable to conditions like claustrophobia.

The resident’s comments bring attention to the delicate balance between infection control and ensuring the emotional well-being of residents during such outbreaks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Aged care resident accused of pushing 89-year-old fellow resident found not guilty of manslaughter

Former aged care resident, Mario Amato – the 61-year-old man accused of manslaughter following the death of fellow resident, 89-year-old Sheila Capper, in a Canberra nursing home – has been found not guilty in the ACT Supreme Court and has walked free, the ABC has reported. Read More

Are COVID-19 and flu vaccinations mandatory for aged care workers and visitors?

As winter closes in, concerns regarding the impact of COVID-19 in aged care facilities have ramped up. But with the general public enjoying far more freedom, are there rules in place for friends and family when visiting aged care? Read More

Could retirement villages be an affordable solution to the housing crisis?

Retirement villages appear to be the most affordable housing option for over 65s looking to move out of the family home, but supply issues could create a highly competitive market. Read More
Advertisement