Sep 28, 2021

ANZ bank agrees to reimburse grandfather who transferred $71,000 to wrong account

ANZ bank agrees to reimburse grandfather who transferred $71,000 to wrong account

Bundaberg resident Gordon Layton made news headlines earlier this month after appearing on A Current Affair and revealing that the recipient of his accidental $71K deposit had quickly withdrawn the money and refused to give it back.

The money was intended to pay a company that had moved Mr Layton’s constructed house to his block of land. Unfortunately, the transaction mishap left Mr Layton without money to pay the house movers.

This resulted in the company threatening the grandfather with legal action to reclaim the money that they are owed.

In response to Mr Laytons financial struggles, his family started an online fundraiser and pooled together their money to pay the house movers. 

Despite the good news, Mr Layton is still living in a shed as he does not have the money to renovate his home, which currently has no kitchen, no running water and plaster falling from the roof.

Mr Layton’s daughter Jacqui Morrison-White revealed the good news in an update to his fundraiser page. 

“We are so happy to advise that the ANZ bank have contacted us to tell us that they are going to reimburse Gordon a good portion of the money that was stolen from him when he accidentally transferred this amount to the wrong account,” said Ms Morrison-White.

“The ANZ bank have said that they have identified some processes that they could have managed better to ensure that the unintended recipient could not take all of the money after receiving it.”

While they have agreed to reimburse a large portion of the original amount, there was still a shortfall. However, with the combined generosity of every person who has kindly donated to our GoFundMe page and the contribution of our family, we are happy to advise that Gordon is only out of pocket by a few thousand dollars.”

According to police, the recipient of Mr Layton’s accidental $71,400 transaction is a man by the name of Ron Stakenburg who was hired by Mr Layton to certify the plans for his new house.

Mr Stakenburg recently appeared in Bundaberg Magistrates Court charged with stealing property of value exceeding $5,000.

The case has now been adjourned until October 18.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Winning All The Way

Anyone in aged care who is living with dementia or simply ageing is not a number; they are individuals with their own unique stories. Throughout their lives, every person creates a distinctive legacy and leaves behind individual footprints that deserve to be documented and preserved for the benefit of future generations. Read More

Elderly Woman Escapes Kidnapping Attempt From Her Own Home

An elderly woman was robbed and allegedly kidnapped by a knife-wielding intruder that burst into her home in south-west Sydney. Maria, 74, answered the door of her Kemps Creek home to a man who claimed that he wanted to make a phone call before things turned violent. Maria described the beginning of the terrifying incident... Read More

2022 year in review: Aged care’s highs and lows

This year has been a whirlwind of a trip for aged care workers, residents, clients and families. There have been major reforms, uplifting stories and stories of further issues to fix in the aged care sector, but HelloCare has loved every minute of bringing this year's coverage to our readers. Read More
Advertisement