Feb 01, 2021

Captain Sir Tom Moore, 100-year-old national hero, admitted to hospital with COVID-19

In April 2020, a 99-year-old WWII veteran set out to raise £1000 for the UK’s National Health Service by walking 100 laps of his front yard by his 100th birthday. Trying to do what he could for the National Health Service in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic, Captain Tom Moore’s story soon captured the hearts and minds of people across the UK and around the world. 

Before long, the 99-year-old had raised over £31 million ($57 million), broke two Guinness World Records, received a knighthood from the Queen, published an autobiography, founded a charity and had a number one single on the UK music charts. What started off all in the name of supporting the NHS through a global pandemic turned into something much bigger than anyone ever expected. 

But now, in a sad turn of events, Captain Sir Tom Moore has been admitted to hospital, having received a positive diagnosis of coronavirus. 

Turning to Twitter, Hannah Ingram-Moore, Captain Tom’s daughter, updated the world on his health status. 

“I wanted to update everybody that today (Sunday 31st January) my father was admitted to hospital,” she wrote.

“Over the last few weeks he was being treated for pneumonia and last week tested positive for COVID-19.

“He was at home with us until today when he needed additional help with his breathing. He is being treated in a ward, although he is not in ICU.”

Describing the medical care he had received so far as “remarkable”, Hannah said she had every faith in the staff at Bedford Hospital and she would keep Captain Tom’s well wishers updated with news when she could. 

At the time of writing, the tweet has almost 13,000 replies from supporters, including major UK political figures, sending their love and care to Captain Tom. 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson sent the Moore family his best, tweeting, “You’ve inspired the whole nation, and I know we are all wishing you a full recovery.” 

Opposition Labour leader Keir Starmer also sent the 100-year-old his best wishes. 

“The whole nation hopes you get well soon @captaintommoore. You’ve been an inspiration to us all throughout this crisis,” he said.

Almost 9 million Britons have received the COVID-19 vaccine, with the over-80s a priority group. But Captain Sir Tom did not receive his vaccine while he was being treated for pneumonia. 

We wish Captain Sir Tom Moore a quick and easy recovery. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Are pandemic visiting rules impacting care?

Bans on visitors have left some aged care residents vulnerable, as non-official caregivers have been prevented from providing physical and emotional support during the COVID-10 pandemic. Read More

COVID-19 drives aged care occupancy rate to 10-year low

  As residential aged care occupancy rates fall to 10-year lows, home care providers may struggle to care for more patients with high acuity needs, according to a leading aged care expert. During COVID-19, thousands of beds in residential aged care have been left empty across Australia as families have decided it’s safer to keep... Read More

Virtual karaoke and museum tours: how older people can cope with loneliness during the coronavirus crisis

By Bridget Laging, Senior Research Fellow, Australian Catholic University and Colleen Doyle, Senior Principal Research Fellow, National Ageing Research Institute. Social distancing is rapidly becoming a way of life as Australia fights the outbreak of COVID-19. This is especially important when it comes to protecting the older and disabled members of our community living in residential... Read More
Advertisement