Feb 01, 2021

Captain Sir Tom Moore, 100-year-old national hero, admitted to hospital with COVID-19

In April 2020, a 99-year-old WWII veteran set out to raise £1000 for the UK’s National Health Service by walking 100 laps of his front yard by his 100th birthday. Trying to do what he could for the National Health Service in the early days of the coronavirus pandemic, Captain Tom Moore’s story soon captured the hearts and minds of people across the UK and around the world. 

Before long, the 99-year-old had raised over £31 million ($57 million), broke two Guinness World Records, received a knighthood from the Queen, published an autobiography, founded a charity and had a number one single on the UK music charts. What started off all in the name of supporting the NHS through a global pandemic turned into something much bigger than anyone ever expected. 

But now, in a sad turn of events, Captain Sir Tom Moore has been admitted to hospital, having received a positive diagnosis of coronavirus. 

Turning to Twitter, Hannah Ingram-Moore, Captain Tom’s daughter, updated the world on his health status. 

“I wanted to update everybody that today (Sunday 31st January) my father was admitted to hospital,” she wrote.

“Over the last few weeks he was being treated for pneumonia and last week tested positive for COVID-19.

“He was at home with us until today when he needed additional help with his breathing. He is being treated in a ward, although he is not in ICU.”

Describing the medical care he had received so far as “remarkable”, Hannah said she had every faith in the staff at Bedford Hospital and she would keep Captain Tom’s well wishers updated with news when she could. 

At the time of writing, the tweet has almost 13,000 replies from supporters, including major UK political figures, sending their love and care to Captain Tom. 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson sent the Moore family his best, tweeting, “You’ve inspired the whole nation, and I know we are all wishing you a full recovery.” 

Opposition Labour leader Keir Starmer also sent the 100-year-old his best wishes. 

“The whole nation hopes you get well soon @captaintommoore. You’ve been an inspiration to us all throughout this crisis,” he said.

Almost 9 million Britons have received the COVID-19 vaccine, with the over-80s a priority group. But Captain Sir Tom did not receive his vaccine while he was being treated for pneumonia. 

We wish Captain Sir Tom Moore a quick and easy recovery. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

BREAKING: Second resident tests positive to COVID-19 at aged care home

A second resident has reportedly tested positive to COVID-19 at Arcare Maidstone, after two workers and a 99-year-old woman also contracted the virus. Read More

Blame should not be confused with accountability, expert responds to royal commission report

  The royal commission’s report on the aged care sector’s failed response to the pandemic does not go far enough and a full inquiry should be held, says a leading aged care expert. The report by the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety on the aged care sector’s response to COVID-19 was written... Read More

Seniors Emerge As Social Media Stars During Coronavirus Lockdown

As tensions mount around the globe, moments of laughter provide some much-needed balance to a news cycle that is currently awash with fear and negativity.  Media coverage around the COVID-19 pandemic has put the welfare of older people at the forefront of people’s minds, but in a positive twist, it appears that this interest is... Read More
Advertisement