Dec 05, 2018

Coroner investigates death of WWII veteran who drank cleaning fluid

A Coroner’s court has heard that an elderly nursing home resident who was living with dementia drank undiluted cleaning fluid shortly before he died.

World War II veteran Murphy Maxwell, who was aged 88 at the time of this tragic incident, was found in his room in November 2014, with a burning mouth and a half empty bottle of cleaning fluid.

A Coroner’s inquiry is looking into what happened on the day of the incident, and whether the systems and procedures put in place since then at the aged care facility are adequate to protect vulnerable nursing home residents.

The inquest heard that staff took three hours to call an ambulance, though Mr Murphy’s condition was so serious that he died less than 24 hours later.

Testing on the liquid revealed the cleaning fluid had not been diluted, making it extremely toxic, particularly for a frail or vulnerable person such a Mr Murphy.

The inquiry heard that the cleaner denied taking the cleaning fluid into the room. She said she had only taken in a bottle of liquid used to get rid of ants.

A nurse told the inquiry she believed Mr Murphy had drunk between 10 ml and 20 ml of the liquid, and that she had called the poison information hotline.

Sadly, this is not an isolated incident

Sadly, elderly people – more often those with some form of cognitive impairment such as dementia – can accidentally consume poison from time to time.

Earlier this year in the UK, an 85-year-old aged care resident drank cleaning fluid from a water jug, though it remains unclear how the jug came to be beside her bed.

At the recent Akolade Future of Australian Aged Care Conference, Marleina Fahey, Dementia Consultant, Baptistcare, said sometimes people living with young onset dementia have a compulsion to eat, and gave the example of a man who had taken a bite from a disinfectant bottle.

What do the standards say?

With this danger in mind, it is clear that aged care residences must do all they can to ensure that unsafe liquids – such as cleaning fluids, hand sanitiser, or insecticides – are never left unattended.

The Australian Aged Care Quality Standard 4.1 requires that “Management of the residential care service is actively working to provide a safe and comfortable environment consistent with care recipients’ care needs.”

Substances such as cleaning fluid or hand sanitiser left unattended would be considered a potential moderate risk in aged care facilities, and an opening for an accident to occur – and would make the  environment ‘unsafe’.

The inquiry continues.

Please note: the image used to illustrate this article does not represent actual people or events.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Brain tumours can bring long-term disability – but some diagnosed are being refused NDIS support

The ABC is reporting how terminally ill patients are being left in limbo as the states and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) argue over disability supports. Read More

What Carers Should Know Regarding Constipation in the Elderly

Constipation in the Elderly Nearly everyone becomes constipated at one time or another, but the elderly are sometimes more likely than younger people. When you are a family carer, you may worry when there are no bowel movements every day but just remember that everyone is different. Being regular varies from person to person and... Read More

Happier Nurses Make for Happier Patients

Working in the healthcare sector, and in particular aged care, can be an emotionally draining experience. While caring for those less fortunate can be a rewarding experience, there are also some negative impacts it can have. With people who are unwell all around you, lonely and isolated, and death being as frequent as every other... Read More
Advertisement