May 06, 2025

Grandmother arrested after two young boys found dead in rural NSW

Grandmother arrested after two young boys found dead in rural NSW

A rural New South Wales town has been left reeling after two young brothers were found dead in a family home, with their grandmother arrested and expected to face murder charges.

The bodies of the boys, aged six and seven, were discovered on Monday afternoon at a residence on Emu Lane in Coonabarabran, a close-knit community of just 2,500 people in the state’s Central West. The horrific discovery was made after the children’s 66-year-old grandmother phoned the Department of Communities and Justice, allegedly stating the boys in her care were dead.

When police arrived shortly after 2pm, they forced their way into the home and confirmed the tragic deaths. The grandmother, who had only recently moved to the town with the boys from the Newcastle region, was arrested at the scene and taken to hospital under police guard for assessment.

She remains in custody and is expected to be charged with two counts of murder.

The news has shaken the local community. The two boys, who attended a local primary school, were described as lively and well-loved. Coonabarabran councillor Kodi Brady paid tribute to them online, writing: “Two firecracker kids. They were amongst it all, 100 miles an hour, involved in soccer, karate, wild as march hares and cute as buttons. My heart is broken alongside the whole community.”

NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb said the incident was an “absolute tragedy” and confirmed specialist police and homicide detectives had been deployed to the scene as part of Strike Force Darnum.

“This is a truly horrific tragedy involving children so young. Our hearts go out to the family of these boys, and to the entire community who will be devastated by what has happened,” she said.

Authorities have confirmed that the grandmother and the boys were known to each other, and no other individuals are being sought in connection with the case. Police have reassured the public there is no ongoing threat to the community.

NSW Premier Chris Minns also expressed his sorrow, describing the day as “terrible” and sending condolences to the children’s family, teachers, and friends.

“I can not begin to imagine the heartbreak their loved ones are currently feeling,” he said. “As a state we share in the community of Coonabarabran’s grief.”

The Department of Communities and Justice has not confirmed whether the family was previously known to them. In the meantime, the tight-knit town is left grappling with a loss that defies comprehension.

Investigations are ongoing as police continue to examine the scene and attempt to piece together what led to the deaths of the two young boys.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Man charged after offering to carry elderly woman’s groceries before sexually assaulting her

A man with seven active community corrections orders has been charged after allegedly assaulting an 84-year-old woman in her home. Police say he offered to carry her groceries before forcing his way inside. Read More

Regis to back-pay staff for unpaid mandatory training after Fair Work dispute

Unpaid mandatory training in aged care has come under scrutiny, with Regis committing to repay affected staff by the end of 2025. Read More

More delays for Support at Home Program

The Aged Care Minister has confirmed the new Support at Home Program will be delivered in two stages to minimise disruption and ensure continuity of care for older people. Read More
Advertisement