Aug 23, 2020

Latest boost is just more life support, we need to address prevention

The peak body for non-profit aged care providers Aged and Community Services Australia (ACSA) says the latest increase in federal funds is welcome to provide support where there are outbreaks but won’t do enough to prevent them

“Any additional investment is obviously very welcome but we need to see big changes to prevent outbreaks,” ACSA CEO Patricia Sparrow said.

“While there is community transmission we can’t guarantee cases won’t get into aged care but our policies should aim for this and support early intervention.

“The better alternative is the kind of investment that will save lives and health budgets.

“The latest announcement of funds is just another stopgap. It is not enough to act as a prevention measure. It’s just more of the same drip-feed that’s kept aged care on life support even prior to the pandemic.

“A national aged care advisory group could be another step forward but only if it ensures resources like infection control experts as they have in hospitals and increases staff. Undertaking audits and reviews is not an end in itself.

“Community transmission is the enemy of aged care and it is going to continue for some time. Once a single case gets into a facility it can be impossible to contain.

“All states and the federal government must implement specific aged care policies that are about prevention instead of just responding to disaster when it has already occurred.

“Many state governments are maintaining a failed policy to keep first cases of COVID-19 within the aged care setting.

“Aged care homes are not hospitals. They aren’t staffed like hospitals. They are not funded like hospitals. They are homes,” Ms Sparrow said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Shocking revelations of community ignorance are putting older people at risk

The most vulnerable older Australians – whether in aged care or living at home - are being put at risk of COVID-19 infection and death by community members ignoring quarantine rules. Revelations today that more than a quarter (130) of positive cases in Victoria doorknocked by ADF teams in the past 24 hours appeared to be flouting self-isolation rules were alarming. Read More

A major ivermectin study has been withdrawn – so what now for the controversial drug?

A large clinical trial that seemed to show positive results for ivermectin has been withdrawn. So you’d think that would be end of the ivermectin saga. But research into ivermectin is ongoing. Here’s what the evidence says so far and what we can expect next. Read More

I have sympathy for the lockdown, but nothing makes up for the fact our patients are alone

Dear Dr Srivastava, Just letting you know your patient died yesterday. I hope you have a good weekend. At a chaotic time I appreciate when residents take the time to write but this time I can’t help thinking about the missing word: your patient died alone yesterday. With large parts of Victoria in a second lockdown,... Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version