Nov 24, 2021

Man arrested over disappearance of missing elderly couple from Victorian campsite

Missing Victorian campers (1)

The couple, Russell Hill, 74, and Carol Clay, 73, were last heard from on 20 March 2020 when they called a friend from their remote campsite using a high-frequency radio. Hill told the friend they were setting up camp in the Victorian Alpine National Park.

Despite an extensive police search, no trace of the couple has been found in the rugged terrain, known as Wonnangatta Valley.

The day after the couple made the phone call, campers found a burnt out campsite. Hill’s car was also seen, damaged by fire.

However, police were not notified of the couple’s disappearance until some days later.

Now, in the latest developments, police have arrested a 55-year-old man and are questioning him in relation to the disappearance of the pair. No charges have been laid at this time.

After meticulously trawling video from the park, police have identified a car that was near the scene of the camp around the time Hill and Clay were camped there.

The dark blue Nissan Patrol has been traced to Greg Lynn, a Jetstar pilot from Melbourne.

Jetstar confirmed it has now stood down Lynn after learning of his connection with the disappearances.

“Jetstar has been advised by Victoria Police that one of its employees is under investigation for a serious crime and will work to assist in this due process in any way we can,” Jetstar said in a statement.

Families have issued appeals for help through the media.

“It’s really hard. It’s not getting any better not knowing. It’s just unknown – he just disappeared and you’re just stuck in the middle,” Hill’s daughter, Debbie, told the BBC last month.

Clay’s sister, Jill, said, “We need to know what happened and we need to know where their bodies are so we can put them to rest.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Paying for a Pillow? Complaints Rise as Aged Care Additional Fees Shock Residents

An alarming 20% increase in aged care complaints shows how vulnerable residents are being charged for services they can’t even use—like happy hour drinks they never consume or a gym they’re physically unable to access. Read More

Man Avoids Jail Despite Indecently Assaulting Seven Young NDIS Carers

A disabled man who indecently assaulted seven young NDIS carers in his home has avoided jail with a 12-month suspended sentence. After receiving the sentence, he shocked onlookers by telling his victims to "F* off." Read More

Labor promises jail time for ‘dodgy’ aged care providers

Under a Labor government, aged care providers that fail in their duty of care to residents could face jail time. Read More
Advertisement