May 09, 2018

NDIS delay forces young wife into nursing home while husband battles cancer alone

A 43-year-old Victorian woman with multiple sclerosis has been forced to move into a nursing home while her husband battles inoperable cancer without her by his side.

Toni Mellington asked that her NDIS support plan be reviewed when her husband, Brad Mills, was diagnosed with cancer. Ms Mellington hoped that the NDIS would allow her to care for her husband at home.

But Ms Mellington has been told her plan can only be reviewed in June. And even then, her level of support may not be increased.

The young couple met in their early twenties, and have been together for two decades. When Ms Mellington was first diagnosed with MS, Mr Wills left his job as an engineer and started a water delivery business so that the couple could work together and he could care for her.

But now, when the care the couple can provide for each other is most important, bureaucratic red tape has separated them.

“I had to move into the aged-care home a couple of days before Brad went in for surgery because there was nowhere else for me to go,” Ms Mellington told The Australian.

“The biggest thing for me is the concern for Brad, that I won’t be there to morally support him. He has started radiation treatment and it is so dreadful, I need to be home and with him,” she said.

Around 6,200 people under the age of 64 live in aged care facilities in Australia. Most have disabilities and nowhere else to live, or have limited family support.

“I think this and other cases show the agency [NDIS] is struggling to deal with complex cases,” Joel Townsend, from Victoria Legal Aid, told The Australian.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Eighth Bupa nursing homes sanctioned

The Department of Health has placed sanctions on Bupa Griffith, bringing to eight the number of aged care facilities owned by the multinational health company that are now restricted in this way. The sanctions mean the aged care facility in regional New South Wales will not receive subsidies for new residents for six months, and must... Read More

St Basil’s Randwick fails 35 of 42 aged care accreditation requirements

The Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission (ACQSC) has taken action against a St Basil’s aged care home in Randwick after it was found to have failed 35 out of 42 aged care accreditation requirements. Read More

Horrific Neglect Highlights The Need For Change In Disability Services

Ann-Marie Smith, 54, had been living alone for many years in the South Australian suburb of Kensington Park. Ms Smith was living with cerebral palsy and received daily visits from a female carer who was being paid to provide six hours of care per day. The presence of the carer’s car indicated that she was... Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version