May 29, 2020

Nurses call for calm & respect during COVID-19 investigations

The Queensland Nurses and Midwives’ Union (QNMU) has called on all Queenslanders to remain calm and respectful while important investigations into Central Queensland COVID-19 infections are carried out.

QNMU Secretary Beth Mohle said separate investigations were underway into the death of Blackwater man Nathan Turner and a nurse who returned a positive COVID-19 test while working at the North Rockhampton Nursing Centre.

Ms Mohle said unsubstantiated claims or comments made publicly by organisations or individuals were unnecessary, unhelpful and potentially harmful.

She said her thoughts were with Mr Turner’s fiancée, friends, family and all involved. She urged anyone experiencing stress or anxiety linked to Mr Turner’s death or the investigations in both Blackwater or Rockhampton to seek assistance.

Any nurses, midwives or aged care staff who are members of the QNMU and are requiring assistance could contact the QNMU free of charge on 1800 177 273 and free counselling was available for Queensland Health staff and their families 24/7.

“The thoughts of Queensland nurses, midwives and aged care staff are with Mr Turner’s family and the people of Blackwater,’’ Ms Mohle said.

“We are also thinking of those impacted in Rockhampton, we know these are incredibly stressful times and we are providing assistance to members in both Rockhampton and Blackwater.

“We ask that while these two important investigations are underway, into the positive test returned in Rockhampton and the coronial investigation into Mr Turner’s death, that all Queenslanders, both individuals and organisations, refrain from making any further comments that could jeopardise the outcome of these two vitally important investigations.

“Making public comment, including unsubstantiated claims, at this time is in no way helpful and could potentially be extremely harmful and hurtful.’’

Ms Mohle said a fever clinic had been set up in Blackwater and she urged all residents to seek testing and support. She also urged all Queenslanders feeling unwell to stay home.

Image: frankiefotografie, iStock.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Visitor code calls for compassionate approach to aged care visits during COVID-19

Aged care providers and consumer groups have agreed to an industry-wide code of conduct for visits to loved ones living in residential aged care during the COVID-19 crisis. The code came into effect on Tuesday, 12 May, but was under consultation during the previous week. It will be reviewed three weeks after implementation, on 29... Read More

Older Australians Deserve Mandated Staffing Ratios in Aged Care Facilities

There were a lot of new ideas and informative debate at yesterday’s Aged Care Reform Conference in Melbourne, but a panel discussion regarding one particular topic highlighted the disconnect between those that work and live in aged care and those that govern it. From the outside looking in, the idea of mandated staffing ratios in... Read More

When a private phone is a privilege

Imagine life without a private phone. Having to make personal phone calls to family and friends, your bank or to report abuse or ill treatment, all in a public space on a public phone. Imagine having to rely on that public phone during coronavirus lockdowns as the only way to connect with outside family and friends. That is how it is for many of those living in aged care in Australia. Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version