Jan 08, 2024

Older woman assaulted into unconsciousness in ED as daughters watch

Untitled design - 2024-01-08T122853.737
The alleged offender assaulted both the 81-year-old and her two daughters in Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital’s ED. [Source: Facebook]

Three older women have allegedly been seriously assaulted by a fellow patient at a Sydney hospital’s Emergency Department (ED) where it is believed an 81-year-old woman was punched, choked and knocked unconscious.

NSW Police allege two women aged 63 and 58 were grabbed and assaulted by fellow patient Richard Po Lun Lim, 28, in Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital’s ED in the early hours of Thursday morning. Mr Lim is then believed to have confronted a third woman, 81, before he assaulted her until she lost consciousness. 

It is believed the 81-year-old is the mother of the first two victims. 

Hospital staff intervened and helped the mother and her daughters. The daughters were assessed and later discharged but the mother remains in hospital critical condition. 

The alleged offender received medical clearance before police attended the scene and arrested him. Mr Lim was taken to Bankstown Police Station where he was charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent, to different counts of choking and assault occasioning bodily harm.

A Bankstown-Lidcombe Hospital Spokesperson told 9News that immediate assistance and medical treatment were provided to the patients and its social workers are providing support to the patients’ family.

Public access to the ED was said to have been maintained with no disruptions to patient care or services.

Mr Lim was refused bail and faced Parramatta Local Court on Friday via video link where the 81-year-old’s son expressed his family’s “extreme emotional pain” and their “state of disbelief”. 

“My mother is supported by over 100 grandchildren who have strong family ties and faith.”

Police told the court the alleged actions of Mr Lim were “senseless, unprovoked and seriously violent assaults that have resulted in the infliction of serious and life-threatening injuries and significant victim fear”.

Officers said there was an “unacceptable risk” that if Mr Lim was released from custody he “will commit a serious offence, endanger the victim, individual or the community”.

On Friday, Mr Lim made no application for bail and is to front Burwood Court on February 29.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Report shows sector has plunged deeper into financial loss

A new report has found the majority of Australia’s aged care facilities were still running at a loss at the tail end of last year - pointing to staffing shortages, increased levels of overtime and agency staff requirements as the main problems behind this financial crisis. Read More

The New Aged Care Act Is Here: Early Talking Points

The new Aged Care Act is finally here, but with a 550-page document to sift through, it might raise more questions than it answers. Here are the key talking points. Read More

Blue Care to Close Aged Care Facility in Bundaberg

Blue Care, a not-for-profit aged care provider owned by the Uniting Church, has announced the closure of its Millbank facility in Bundaberg. Read More
Advertisement