Nov 10, 2023

Pensioner complicit in scamming 93-year-old with dementia out of thousands

Untitled design - 2023-11-10T120621.240
Seu Fong Au outside Manly Local Court at a previous court appearance in July. [Source: The Daily Mail]

A court has heard a Sydney pensioner allegedly participated in a scam to convince a 93-year-old woman with dementia to hand over her bank card to fraudsters who drained it of thousands of dollars.

On Thursday, a magistrate at Manly Local Court heard Seu Fong Au, 63, was allegedly involved in the scam which saw the woman tricked into handing over her card by a person posing as an employee from her bank.

According to a police fact sheet previously tendered to the court, police stated the older woman had been repeatedly contacted by a man posing as a NAB bank manager.

During a series of phone calls, the woman was allegedly told that money needed to be withdrawn from her account to “assist in fraud investigations”, the court heard. She then allegedly handed over her card to a person on February 14, 2023.

The police fact sheet stated $1,000 was withdrawn from the woman’s account via an ATM at Parramatta on February 16. Two more withdrawals totalling $3,000 were made at Parramatta using her card on the following day.

On February 20, the woman was again allegedly contacted by a person who claimed he was a bank manager who told her that a person would go to her home later that day to pick up another bank card and swap it for another NAB card.

Mr Au has pleaded guilty to one count of possessing identification information to commit an indictable offence. 

The court had previously been told police had been making further inquiries into possible alleged accomplices.

Mr Au’s Legal Aid lawyer confirmed that his client will plead not guilty to two counts of dishonestly obtaining a financial advantage by deception. The solicitor said representations to police in relation to these charges were unsuccessful and would now be defended in court.

Magistrate Margaret McGlynn adjourned the matters for hearing in Manly Local Court on April 8, 2024.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

More than 75% of the aged care workforce planning to leave the sector

The aged care workforce crisis looks likely to deepen, with a new survey revealing more than 75% of staff plan to leave the sector within five years. For many, Omicron has brought forward their decision to leave. Are you or someone you know planning to leave? Read More

Woman, 73, turns herself in after hit-and-run that killed 3-year-old child

A 73-year-old woman from Melbourne’s outer north turned herself in to police this morning after a tragic hit-and-run that resulted in the death of a 3-year-old boy in Sunshine yesterday. Read More

Older lung cancer battler falls to his death from unit balcony, man charged

A 74-year-old man who was battling lung cancer has died after allegedly being thrown from the balcony of his unit complex in Brisbane’s south. Read More
Advertisement