Jun 19, 2026

Police charge aged care resident following horrific violent assault on fellow resident

A resident at a Sydney aged care facility has been charged following an alleged violent attack on an 87-year-old man living with dementia.

Emergency services were called to a HammondCare facility in Sydney’s south west on Wednesday night after reports that a resident had been assaulted.

The elderly man, identified publicly only as John, was found suffering significant injuries to his face and body. He was treated by paramedics at the scene before being transported to Liverpool Hospital in a serious condition.

Police launched an investigation into the incident and later arrested a 69-year-old male resident at the facility. He has been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm in relation to the alleged attack.

The accused man was taken to hospital and remains under police guard. He was refused bail and was expected to appear before court via a bedside hearing.

The alleged assault is believed to have occurred in the courtyard of Linden Cottage, a specialised high care unit for residents living with severe cognitive decline.

John’s family have spoken of their shock at the extent of his injuries. His daughter Margaret told radio station 2GB she had never seen her father so badly injured.

“I’ve never seen anything like this before,” she said.

Images provided to media outlets showed the 87-year-old with extensive bruising and swelling to his face following the alleged attack.

HammondCare has confirmed it is investigating the incident. Executive General Manager Jenny Summerton said the organisation was “extremely sorry and deeply saddened” by what had occurred.

The case has renewed attention on the challenges of managing resident-to-resident aggression in aged care, particularly in environments supporting people living with advanced dementia and complex behavioural needs.

Experts have long recognised that responsive behaviours associated with dementia can sometimes result in aggression, highlighting the need for appropriate staffing, specialised training, thorough risk assessments and care strategies that protect both residents and workers.

Investigations into the incident remain ongoing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. It is an ongoing worry for those who place their loved ones in care. More supervision is needed.

  2. I doubt additional will ever be put on the floor where needed. Facilities are still busy dotting I’s and crossing T’s. Nothing has changed with the implementation of a new funding program. The industry is top heavy, too many chiefs and not enough Indians. New grads employed for cheaper wages.
    I had a forced retirement thanks to covid. I live dole check to dole check. So glad I’m out of the industry.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

“Off her f—ing tree”: Drug-addicted aged care nurse mismanaged patients’ meds

An aged care nurse has been banned from practising for at least two years after she was found to have stolen and swapped residents’ prescribed pain medications with over-the-counter substitutes to fuel her own drug habit.  Read More

World War 2 veteran honoured with his own street name

South Australian World War 2 veteran Keith Fowler is the last surviving member of Australia’s 2/3rd Machine Gun Battalion, and he now has another lasting legacy - a street named after him. Read More

Adelaide Family Denied Retirement Home Due to Son’s Disability

An Adelaide couple is facing an unexpected roadblock in their search for a retirement home. Despite caring for their 38-year-old son with a disability, they’ve been repeatedly denied placement in retirement villages because of his age. Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version