Feb 20, 2026

Police raid suspected kidnappers’ stronghold as search for Sydney grandfather

Police raid suspected kidnappers’ stronghold as search for Sydney grandfather

Police have raided a semi-rural property in Sydney’s north-west as the desperate search continues for an 85-year-old grandfather abducted in what detectives believe was a case of mistaken identity.

Officers executed a search warrant at a home on Wildthorn Avenue in Dural on Thursday night, declaring the property a crime scene after identifying it as a suspected base used by the kidnappers of Chris Baghsarian.

The raid comes one week after Mr Baghsarian was dragged from his North Ryde home just before 5am last Friday.

‘Makeshift stronghold’ uncovered

NSW Police said the Dural address was believed to have been used as a “makeshift stronghold” by the group responsible for the abduction.

Strike force detectives and forensic officers were seen combing the property late into the night, removing items for examination. Mr Baghsarian was not located at the scene and no arrests have been made.

Investigators are continuing to appeal for information from anyone in the Dural area who may have seen suspicious activity over the past week.

Violent pre-dawn abduction

Mr Baghsarian, a widower who lives alone, was allegedly taken by up to three men who forced entry into his North Ryde home in the early hours of February 13.

Neighbours reported hearing smashing glass and cries for help. Security footage later released by police shows a dark Toyota pulling into the quiet suburban street before a man in high-visibility clothing steps out. Moments later, the elderly man is pushed across the front landing and forced into the vehicle.

The car believed to have been used in the kidnapping was later found burnt out in North Turramurra.

Detectives from the robbery and serious crime squad, under Strike Force Chobat, are investigating whether the kidnappers had intended to target someone else in the area with alleged links to the Alameddine crime network, but instead seized the wrong man.

Police have repeatedly stressed that Mr Baghsarian and his family have no connection to organised crime.

Disturbing footage circulates

In the days following the abduction, video and images began circulating that purportedly show the grandfather restrained and assaulted. Police are working to verify the material but have confirmed they hold grave concerns for his welfare.

Mr Baghsarian is described as frail and reliant on daily medication. Authorities warn that without proper treatment, his health could deteriorate quickly.

No formal ransom demand has been made to the family, and detectives have issued direct public pleas to those responsible to release him safely.

“You have the wrong man,” Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks said earlier this week, urging the kidnappers to come forward with information about his whereabouts.

Family ‘living through a nightmare’

In a statement released through police, Mr Baghsarian’s family said they were struggling to comprehend how they had become caught up in such an ordeal.

“Our family is living through a nightmare we never thought possible,” they said.

“Chris is a devoted father, brother, uncle and grandfather. He is deeply loved, gentle, and the kindest person we know.”

As the investigation intensifies, officers are urging anyone with information, CCTV or dashcam footage from North Ryde, North Turramurra or Dural to contact Crime Stoppers.

For now, the focus remains on locating the missing grandfather and bringing him home safely.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Government to introduce a national worker registration scheme for Personal Carers

Personal care workers will soon need mandatory qualifications and ongoing professional development under a new national registration scheme designed to lift standards, protect care recipients and provide stronger career pathways. Read More

Days to live: Touching moment Adelaide man granted dying wish

A 58-year-old man on his way to palliative care has been granted his dying wish by ambulance workers, calling it one of the most memorable days of his life. Read More

St Basil’s inquest: New details emerge of Australia’s deadliest COVID-19 outbreak

Harrowing new details have emerged about the appalling circumstances of St Basil’s COVID-19 outbreak, as a coronial inquiry gets underway today. It is expected to run over four weeks, hearing from 64 witnesses, including the families who lost loved ones. Read More
Advertisement