Apr 02, 2020

Prime Minister Announces That Child Care Will Be Free For Essential Workers

The federal government have just announced that they will introduce a new childcare system from Sunday.

Education Minister Dan Tehan said the new system will mean parents who are essential workers will get their childcare for free.

“What we will be doing is turning off the old system and going to a new system which will provide that relief to parents,” Mr Tehan said.

“The way it will work is that we will look at what 50 per cent of the fees up to the rate cap were in the fortnight before March 2 and we will pay you that amount on a fortnightly basis.”

He said the hope is that now all parents who will get the care they want and whose who have sought to disengage with the child care sector will re-engage with the sector.

Childcare centres will be urged to prioritise the needs of workers when it comes to providing care under the federal government’s new childcare system.

“We are going to ask the centres to prioritise and they should prioritise obviously those who need their children cared for because they are working and working where they can’t care for their children safely at home,” Education Minister Dan Tehan said.

“For them to prioritise as well vulnerable children who need that continuity of care as well and then to re-engage with those parents who have taken their children out of care to see whether they can be accommodated as necessary as well, but there is a clear priority list that we want centres to take into account.”

He said the most important of those are essential workers and the vulnerable children.

Photo Credit – iStock – SDI Productions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

How to implement change on a tight budget in aged care

  The aged care industry is in the midst of a dramatic transformation, and organisations are having to implement sweeping changes, often at great expense. But at the Akolade 4th Future of Aged Care Summit this week, attendees heard that small “incremental innovations” can lead to improvement just as meaningful to operations as large “disruptive innovations”. Smaller... Read More

Aged care in 2020: ACSA’s Patricia Sparrow reflects on the lessons learned

While this has been a challenging year, we must learn from 2020 and ensure we’re better prepared in the future. This requires more than tinkering around the edges or focussing on single issues. It requires more than platitudes about the efforts and dedication of aged care workers. Read More

It’s “inhumane” older Australians are waiting years for home care

Anglican not-for-profit aged care provider, Benetas, joins the choir of voices in Australia calling for the Australian Government to end the Home Care Package waitlist in its upcoming federal budget. As commented earlier this month following the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety’s hearings on Home Care Packages, Benetas CEO Sandra Hills OAM... Read More
Advertisement