Oct 11, 2021

Rapid COVID testing reuniting families at Victorian aged care homes

Eleven residential aged care homes spanning Melbourne and Geelong have seen a successful rapid antigen testing program introduced, according to The Geelong Advertiser.

TLC Healthcare has become Australia’s first aged care provider to make rapid antigen tests for every contractor, staff member and visitor to their aged care homes mandatory. 

The program is currently operating at Warralily Gardens in Armstrong Creek, The Belmont in Belmont and Wallington’s Homestead Estate, which means that all visitors entering these homes must take a rapid antigen test.

A novel program, the rapid antigen tests were implemented in September.

Approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), the rapid antigen test utilised by TLC has proven to be 95% effective so far, with two positive results having been returned in Melbourne since the rapid antigen testing program was introduced a month ago.

Speaking of the success of the rapid antigen tests, TLC Chief Executive Officer, Lou Pascuzzi, praised its proven effectiveness.

Outlining aged care home provider’s established protocol, Mr Pascuzzi detailed how both participants took a PCR test and one was confirmed as positive. 

“As vaccination rates increase, restrictions ease and contract tracing winds down, there is an increased likelihood that a person can be infected with COVID-19 and not know.”

Mr Pascuzzi added, “This situation proves that rapid antigen testing is the most effective way to protect vulnerable aged care residents.”

Core to the TLC COVID-19 management approach, as the community in Victoria begins to reopen, will be following the protocols of vaccination, rapid antigen testing and infection-control.

Mr Pascuzzi explained that TLC’s plan has enabled its homes to receive visitors for a large portion of the COVID-19 outbreak.

He advocates that TLC’s strong COVID-19 management strategy was and will continue to be integral to all their homes being free of COVID-19 for the duration of the pandemic. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

“For cases to continue, lessons haven’t been learnt,” says Epidemiologist Mary-Louise McLaws

Victoria’s active cases have dipped below 300 for the first time since June this week, and there is a sense the state is emerging from the crisis. Whilst the numbers are improving there are still 79 active cases in aged care homes across the state – that’s 27 per cent of active cases. New cases are... Read More

Celebrities and older Australians to star and soar spirits in Australia’s Big Christmas Sing-A-Long

A host of Australian celebrities will create a two-hour national Christmas celebration to lift spirits among 1.5 million older Australians in aged care and retirement living. Read More

Coroner could not determine if medication error caused elderly woman’s death

The ACT Coroner says he was not able to determine if a medication mix up contributed to the death of an elderly woman in 2016. Viola Clarke died on 20 February 2016, with the cause of death recorded as aspiration pneumonia. But two days later, Dr Carolyn Droste referred the case to the coroner, following... Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version