Apr 15, 2020

Six Staff And Four Residents Infected At Facility Where Sick Nurse Worked

A total of ten people including six staff members and four residents tested positive for COVID-19 at Anglicare’ Newmarch House aged care facility in western Sydney yesterday.

This sad news comes days after it was revealed that a nurse worked four shifts at this particular facility despite showing visible symptoms of the COVID-19 virus – which she later tested positive for.

Testing across Sydney’s inner-west has increased dramatically over the last few days as some of the identified cases of COVID-19 are proving difficult for health authorities to trace.

“In those areas, we have diagnosed identified cases of COVID-19 where there aren’t clear links to clusters and so we want to assure ourselves that there is not broader community transition,” NSW Chief Health Officer Dr. Kerry Chant told reporters on Tuesday.

Earlier this week, NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said the worker had put vulnerable people at risk.

“The simple message here is if you’re working at an aged care facility, you are working with some of our most vulnerable people in (the) community, please just don’t go,” said Mr. Hazzard.

NSW’s total number of confirmed cases on Tuesday rose by seven to 2870, with 32 patients in intensive care. The death toll remains at 26.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she was glad to see the COVID-19 curve flatten in NSW but warned the virus could quickly reappear if social restrictions were not heeded.

“While we’re encouraged by the reduction in the number of cases every day, it’s really up to us to continue to follow the restrictions and do what we’ve been asked,” Ms Berejiklian told reporters.

 

Photo Credit -iStock – kieferpix

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  1. I can not believe that this woman did not realize she had the virus she is a nurse for goodness sake doesn’t she speak English or something I hope the book is thrown at her in everyway possible The heartache and pain she has caused is unbelievable She says she is sorry that is just not good enough I wonder how many more people will get this virus as a result of her negligence maybe she has link to the Chinese government?????

    1. She claims that she didn’t know she had COVID-19, however she admits that she knew she was unwell but went to work anyway. To me this indicates that she valued her pay cheque above the health of her residents & for that she should be asked to leave the industry. She clearly is not cut out to work with vulnerable people.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Providers call for more army support and COVID prevention funding

Aged care provider peak body, Aged and Community Care Providers Association (ACCPA) are calling on the federal government to increase Australian Defence Force (ADF) support in the aged care sector and further funding for COVID-19 preventions. Read More

Red tape in aged care shouldn’t force staff to prioritise ticking boxes over residents’ outcomes

By Joachim Sturmberg, University of Newcastle Last week’s hearings at the aged care royal commission in Brisbane looked at regulation in aged care. While rules and regulations are designed to safeguard residents, bureaucratic “red tape” also contributes to the failings in aged care. The fear among nursing home staff of failing a review visit by an... Read More

Where are the government’s changes to the regulation of physical and chemical restraints?

  Back in January, the aged care minister said changes to the regulation of chemical and physical restraints in aged care were only weeks away. That was nearly two months ago. “Incidents of over use of physical and chemical restraint will not be tolerated and draft changes to regulations are expected to be released within... Read More
Advertisement