May 29, 2024

Suspected Gas Leak Causes Evacuation at Tasmanian Aged Care Home

Peter Williams, the CEO of OneCare, told local news that all residents were evacuated safely. [Supplied].

Around 80 residents at an aged care facility in north-west Tasmania had to be evacuated due to a suspected gas leak.

On Tuesday morning, staff at OneCare’s Rubicon Grove facility in Port Sorell noticed a strong odour, with some workers experiencing nausea shortly before the evacuation.

Peter Williams, the CEO of OneCare, told local news that all residents were evacuated safely.

“A few of our staff reported feeling unwell. We have brought in additional personnel to assist and ensure that the care and safety of our residents remain our top priority,” Williams stated.

“Emergency services were promptly notified and are currently on-site investigating the cause, which is yet to be determined.”

Williams also mentioned that families of the residents have been informed and requested that friends and relatives refrain from visiting until the issue is resolved.

“Residents have been allowed to return to the facility’s café and activities room,” he added.

As of 4 pm on Tuesday, 15 staff members have been assessed and treated for nausea and other symptoms at the Mersey Community Hospital and North West Regional Hospital.

Following an investigation by the Tasmania Fire Service, Williams announced that the facility has reopened.

“This incident is undoubtedly distressing, impacting the health and wellbeing of our staff. OneCare is collaborating with WorkSafe Tasmania to ascertain the cause,” he said.

“Fortunately, there appear to be no serious health consequences, and we will continue to support our staff during this time.”

Williams assured that all residents are safe, well, and settling back into their usual accommodations.

Additional staff have been brought in to “ensure resident care and safety remain a priority.”

“I want to express my gratitude to OneCare’s dedicated staff, emergency service personnel, the friends and family of our residents, and the Port Sorell community for their support during this incident,” Williams concluded.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Elderly Toowoomba couple traumatised after knife-wielding youths target home

“We don’t feel safe anymore.” A Toowoomba couple in their seventies say they’re still shaken after three armed intruders tried to break into their home. Read More

Union demands COVID-19 leave payments remain for aged care workers

The Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (ANMF) has demanded that the new Federal Government reverse a decision to scrap the COVID-19 leave disaster payment. Read More

Australia has a new four-phase plan for a return to normality: Here’s what we know so far

The national cabinet has announced its four-phase plan to get Australia back to something resembling our pre-pandemic life. Do you think we’ll stay on track and things will go back to “normal” soon? Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version