Jan 28, 2021

Sydney man arrested following home invasion and assault of 92 year old woman

In an attack that police have described as “appalling”, a 28-year-old man has been arrested after allegedly invading the home and physically and sexually assaulting a 92-year-old woman. 

The man charged with the crimes, Craig Anthony Wheatman, allegedly broke into the older woman’s home, assaulting her and leaving her covered in cuts and bruises on her face and body. 

Acting Commander of the Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad, Chris Goddard, described the alleged attack as “probably one of the most appalling I’ve seen in 30 years of policing”.

“Horrendous crimes, some of the most heinous crimes in the Crimes Act, have been committed against this poor defenceless vulnerable member of our community,” he said.

Police were called to the 92-year-old’s home just before 4am on Saturday morning when she used an emergency medical alarm during the attack. The alarm alerted her son, who called emergency services once arriving at her home. 

Wheatman allegedly physically and sexually assaulted the woman before stealing her wallet and cash and fleeing the home. 

Left with cuts, bruises and other injuries, the woman was treated by paramedics at the scene before being taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. She has since been discharged into the care of family members. 

After being arrested by police in Homebush just around 5pm on Sunday, Wheatman was taken to Burwood Police Station where he has been charged with a series of offences including aggravated break and enter and committing a serious indictable offence with people there, aggravated sex assault inflicting actual bodily harm on a victim, sexually touching another person without consent and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

He did not apply for bail, and bail has been formally refused.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Banner Banner
Advertisement

Minister for Aged Care wants to hold on to top job

  The Minister who has overseen one of the most controversial and dramatic periods in the history of Australia’s aged care sector says he wishes to remain in the top job. At the Senate’s Community Affairs Legislation Committee earlier this week, Richard Colbeck said he was “determined to continue the work I’ve been doing since... Read More

Giving carers the chance to take a break

VMCH’s Carer Support program recently held an event at Coombe Yarra Valley, as an opportunity for the full-time carers to get together, socialise and have some time out from their responsibilities. The program provides events for people who live in Melbourne’s eastern region and care for a loved one with care needs including dementia, disability,... Read More

Stress Can Cause Heart Attacks and Strokes, According to Research

About 54,000 Australians have a heart attack every year, and in 2015, 8,443 people died from them. Meanwhile, it is estimated that in 2017 there will be 55,000 strokes among Australians, 80 percent of which could be prevented. For both stroke and heart attack, there are a few risk factors that can’t be controlled, such as age and family history, but... Read More
Banner Banner
Advertisement