Jul 13, 2023

Teen accused of suffocating older woman in home invasion out on bail

The accused was supported by his father in court, who is a prison supervisor. [Source: 9News]

The teenager accused of suffocating an older woman in her Victorian home has been released on bail.

Appearing before a court earlier this week, the 15-year-old boy was accused of breaking into 83-year-old Anne Balshaw’s unit in Mornington and allegedly smothering her with a pillow last month.

The court also heard there are 69 criminal charges against the boy, ranging from aggravated burglary to theft and at the time of his arrest he was already out on 10 counts of bail.

Ms Balshaw told 9News she awoke to intruders rummaging through her wardrobe at about 11.30pm on June 8. After she tried to yell at the offenders, one allegedly grabbed a pillow and held it over her face.

Police believe three offenders broke into Ms Balshaw’s home and stole her Hyundai i30 and $3,000 in cash. The court heard the teen has spent 32 days in detention at the Parkville Youth Justice Precinct.

Police said the teen would pose a risk if bailed. The magistrate agreed but said young people couldn’t be locked up forever. He was charged with aggravated burglary, theft of a motor vehicle, and committing an indictable offence on bail.

The accused was supported by his father in court, who is a prison supervisor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Gold Coast grandmother tackles purse snatching tradesman and reclaims handbag

CCTV shows the grandmother chasing down her attacker before slinging him to the ground and then getting him in a headlock as she ripped her purse away from the thief and pulled his shirt over his head. Read More

New warning after Adelaide couple fall victim to text message scam and lose $7K

When an elderly couple from Adelaide received a text message said to be from their doctor, they clicked on the link immediately thinking it was medical results. That act led them down a frustrating path, ending in the loss of $7,000. Read More

Older woman bashed in Sydney ED dies

An older woman who was assaulted in an unprovoked attack by a fellow patient at a Sydney hospital has died, leaving her family devastated. Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version