Aug 25, 2021

Teenager charged over violent bag snatching incident of elderly Townsville woman

Teenager charged over violent bag snatching incident of elderly Townsville woman

According to police, the 76-year-old victim had been walking down the street on her way home when a man on a BMX bike rode up beside her and violently snatched the bag from her hands.

The force of the snatching propelled the elderly woman forward before crashing to the ground where she sustained a shoulder injury.

The alleged attacker then rode off as his victim hit the ground, quickly extracting the purse from her bag and then dumping the bag on the road.

Following police investigations, detectives charged a 19-year-old man with one count each of grievous bodily harm and theft. He was subsequently denied bail and is due to appear in the Townsville Magistrates Court today.

Acting Inspector, Jason Brosnan, shared his thoughts on the cowardly crime with local reporters.

“An elderly member of our community doing nothing but minding her own business is assaulted for a bag and suffered terrible injuries over nothing,” Inspector Brosnan said.

“A community that tolerates that type of behaviour is not a community at all.”

“Someone knows who this person is … imagine if that was their grandmother.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Financial snapshot: Residential aged care bouncing back in Q2

Progress in aged care: The Quarter 2 2024-25 financial snapshot shows a jump in residential care profits, a rise in care minutes and a drop in agency staff useage - but challenges remain. Read More

Court hears allegations of not enough food and residents left in soiled clothing for days

The lawyer representing residents and families in a class action against St Basil’s Fawkner, where 44 of the 183 residents died from COVID-19, told a court on Wednesday his clients want the case heard soon, because many are old and unwell. Read More

Letter and ‘love note’ presented at trial into young Melbourne nurses’s murder

During the trial into the murder of a young Victorian nurse more than 30 years ago, the court heard details of a post-it note found in her study containing musings about love and a letter apologising that neighbours were left to discover her bloodied body. Read More
Advertisement