Nov 06, 2020

Zero active COVID cases in Australian aged care as Victoria announces the all clear

It has been a long time coming, but after months of hard work and loss, Victoria has recorded zero active cases of coronavirus in the aged care system. 

According to the Department of Health and Services, the last active case in the sector was cleared on Wednesday, and there has been no further transmission since then. 

With over 650 of the 819 coronavirus deaths across the state related to aged care, this is the first time Victorian aged care has had no active cases since June 15th of this year. 

“The clearance of this final active case represents a significant achievement in Victoria’s response to the second wave of this pandemic,” a DHHS statement read.

With this new incredible result come calls from families and advocacy groups to reopen the homes and allow visitors. 

“While we’re all celebrating this, there are still aged care homes that are refusing to allow visitors,” Dr Sarah Russell, director of Aged Care Matters told The Age.

“They say they’re saving lives, but what type of life is it for an older person not to see the people they love?”

Policy manager at Leading Age Services Australia, Tim Hicks, said that while the final case being cleared was cause for some “cautious optimism”, what’s really needed in the reopening of homes was vigilance. 

“This means ensuring homes have extra staff and resources for strict contact screening and to allow visitors in a safe way,” he said. 

His group had “long called for more staff to safeguard the lives of people in aged care”, Mr Hicks said.

It also comes as the state records zero new infections and zero deaths for a full week, a statistic not seen since February. 

As the state gears up for the holiday season, the overwhelming message from the government is to remain diligent, despite the good news. 

“I would urge Victorians – don’t be going to Sydney for Christmas unless you absolutely have to,” the premier said on Wednesday.

“You want a summer holiday? We’ve got lots of opportunities here.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Superheroes wear masks

As Australia enters into a second wave of COVID-19 infections, the prospect of mandatory face masks has become a reality for many. The World Health Organisation is now recommending that health workers, anyone with even the mildest symptom of COVID-19 or people caring for suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19 should wear a mask.  The... Read More

Cautious optimism as Victorian aged care coronavirus numbers improve

The coronavirus outbreak in Victorian aged care homes has had devastating repercussions, with 425 of the state’s 570 deaths occurring within care homes. However, the crisis may be easing with the Victorian aged care response centre (VACRC), reporting that there is now only one care facility still labeled as high risk. Read More

“So difficult to identify, so difficult to contain”: when tiredness is COVID-19

  Geriatrician Kate Gregorevic spoke to HelloCare as she rushed from work at the hospital to her home, where she would be relieving her husband of his home-schooling responsibilities for their three young children. “It’s so hard for everyone in Melbourne right now,” she admitted of the stage-4 lockdown restrictions. Dr Gregorevic works at Royal Melbourne... Read More
Advertisement