Nov 06, 2020

Zero active COVID cases in Australian aged care as Victoria announces the all clear

It has been a long time coming, but after months of hard work and loss, Victoria has recorded zero active cases of coronavirus in the aged care system. 

According to the Department of Health and Services, the last active case in the sector was cleared on Wednesday, and there has been no further transmission since then. 

With over 650 of the 819 coronavirus deaths across the state related to aged care, this is the first time Victorian aged care has had no active cases since June 15th of this year. 

“The clearance of this final active case represents a significant achievement in Victoria’s response to the second wave of this pandemic,” a DHHS statement read.

With this new incredible result come calls from families and advocacy groups to reopen the homes and allow visitors. 

“While we’re all celebrating this, there are still aged care homes that are refusing to allow visitors,” Dr Sarah Russell, director of Aged Care Matters told The Age.

“They say they’re saving lives, but what type of life is it for an older person not to see the people they love?”

Policy manager at Leading Age Services Australia, Tim Hicks, said that while the final case being cleared was cause for some “cautious optimism”, what’s really needed in the reopening of homes was vigilance. 

“This means ensuring homes have extra staff and resources for strict contact screening and to allow visitors in a safe way,” he said. 

His group had “long called for more staff to safeguard the lives of people in aged care”, Mr Hicks said.

It also comes as the state records zero new infections and zero deaths for a full week, a statistic not seen since February. 

As the state gears up for the holiday season, the overwhelming message from the government is to remain diligent, despite the good news. 

“I would urge Victorians – don’t be going to Sydney for Christmas unless you absolutely have to,” the premier said on Wednesday.

“You want a summer holiday? We’ve got lots of opportunities here.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Melbourne in lockdown again: Why have 29 aged care homes still not been vaccinated?

As Victoria goes into another circuit-breaker lockdown, and faces a possible third wave of a COVID outbreak, there are concerns for aged care residents in almost 30 homes who are still yet to receive a single vaccine dose. The news comes despite the fact that 655 residents died last year during the state’s devastating second wave. Read More

“Message confusing”: Aged care providers to inform government how many workers vaccinated – but what if staff don’t tell their employer?

From this week it will be compulsory for aged care providers to inform the government how many of their staff have been vaccinated. But with aged care staff under no obligation to tell their employers if they’ve received the jab, how accurate will the data be? Read More

What have we learned from coronavirus outbreaks in aged care?

With the globe in the grip of the coronavirus pandemic, aged care has been on the front line in the battle to contain the disease. With older people particularly vulnerable to coronavirus and aged care residents living in close confines, aged care facilities world-wide have recorded clusters of cases. In Australia, Dorothy Henderson Lodge had six... Read More
Advertisement