Nov 06, 2020

Zero active COVID cases in Australian aged care as Victoria announces the all clear

It has been a long time coming, but after months of hard work and loss, Victoria has recorded zero active cases of coronavirus in the aged care system. 

According to the Department of Health and Services, the last active case in the sector was cleared on Wednesday, and there has been no further transmission since then. 

With over 650 of the 819 coronavirus deaths across the state related to aged care, this is the first time Victorian aged care has had no active cases since June 15th of this year. 

“The clearance of this final active case represents a significant achievement in Victoria’s response to the second wave of this pandemic,” a DHHS statement read.

With this new incredible result come calls from families and advocacy groups to reopen the homes and allow visitors. 

“While we’re all celebrating this, there are still aged care homes that are refusing to allow visitors,” Dr Sarah Russell, director of Aged Care Matters told The Age.

“They say they’re saving lives, but what type of life is it for an older person not to see the people they love?”

Policy manager at Leading Age Services Australia, Tim Hicks, said that while the final case being cleared was cause for some “cautious optimism”, what’s really needed in the reopening of homes was vigilance. 

“This means ensuring homes have extra staff and resources for strict contact screening and to allow visitors in a safe way,” he said. 

His group had “long called for more staff to safeguard the lives of people in aged care”, Mr Hicks said.

It also comes as the state records zero new infections and zero deaths for a full week, a statistic not seen since February. 

As the state gears up for the holiday season, the overwhelming message from the government is to remain diligent, despite the good news. 

“I would urge Victorians – don’t be going to Sydney for Christmas unless you absolutely have to,” the premier said on Wednesday.

“You want a summer holiday? We’ve got lots of opportunities here.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

New report: Company contracted to administer vaccine to aged care residents only – not staff

The healthcare company tasked with rolling out the vaccine in Victoria has revealed it was never contracted to administer the vaccine to staff in aged care homes – only to give them leftovers once residents had received theirs. “Was it only ever a vaccine-dregs-for-staff arrangement?” Read More

Nursing Home Resident Starts Sewing Face Masks To Fight Coronavirus

Much has been said about protecting people living in nursing homes recently, but it appears as though some residents are more worried about everyone else. Rina Sartoretto, 86, was born in Italy and first started sewing at the tender age of 12-years-old. Mrs. Sartoretto’s skills with the needle and thread developed quickly, and before too... Read More

State of disaster called as Melbourne moves to nightly curfew and stage 4 restrictions

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has announced that metropolitan Melbourne will move to “stage 4” restrictions from 6pm Sunday, as new cases of COVID-19 continue to rise. The state recorded another 671 cases and 7 deaths on Sunday. Andrews has declared a state of disaster from 6pm on Sunday, imposing a nightly curfew on Melbourne and giving the government and police extra powers to enforce the new restrictions. Read More
Advertisement
Exit mobile version